• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Favourite spearfishing stories, catches and funny stories.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MozSpearer

Nov 19, 2013
Hi. This is where everyone can tell their funny story or a story of their exceptional catch!!

Please reply! Thanx a lot

The place is Cato off QLD coast East Aus. Its OCT 2005.
On this trip I'm diving with my old mentor Tony, & young Andrew who I guess might consider me to be his. I've been diving with Tony since my teens & for Andrew with me the same. We are at Cato to spear doggies, anything else isn't really a bonus, moreso a diverson from the tuna. The current is wrong, its the wrong direction & several degrees to cold. We are sighting tuna & spearing some small ones but can't get the large fish above 30m or interested in burley/chum. After 3 days the atmosphere is tence, the divers in other dories are fairing the same or worse when we return to the vessel each lunch & evening, the discussion is to move to another reef system, but I know that it will be the same or worse.

On day 4, Andrew & I drop into the current flowing out of the lagoon to see if there might be an opportunity in this warmer water. Tony is driving the dory & sights a sailfish tailing on the surface. This is good & bad. Tony shouts to Andrew the direction of the fish which was on a direct course to him anyway. Sounds good? Andrew makes the same mistake we all do & swims directly at the fish, which of course decides its time to head in a different direction. I watched it all unfold & know that the fish would have presented a shot if Andrew had kept his composure. Hard lesson!

Well back in the dory, we were a dissapointed lot. I asked Andrew if he wanted to shoot a wahoo & leave the tuna hunting for another day. As he'd never shot a wahoo before & we were all a bit disheartened he was sarcastic at my promise. "we'll what the ---- have we been doing for the last few days" ( something like that but a bit deeper "blue" lol). I suggest we dive a drop off a couple of klm's west where I've been watching the birds work for the last three days. It's 60m to the top so not the best place to spear doggies, but I know there will be wahoo. What I didn't know then was just how many there would be. Andrew is completly disheartened at this time, he can't forget the saily & refused to believe he'll shoot a wahoo this day.

As we are nearing the birds I start to let out My riffe float. This is a great trick as wahoo will often follow it as it is towed behind the propwash allowing an easy first fish. We stopt the dory upwind of the birds but Andrew has his arms folded & says" you get in first"( I guess Tony & I were giving him some stick about the sailfish.lol) I roll over the side into wahoo soup there are hundreds of wahoo under the boat & nothing smaller than 20 kgs. I load the 3 rubbers & dive about 4m & shoot a 30kg model. By the time I'm back at the surface the fish has stretched the bungy & I'm starting to move. The float has traveled 30m across the surface by this stage so the boys know a fish is on even before I surface.

Now here, is where I could have played a great joke but it never occured to me at the time, & I didn't imagine that there would ever be so many wahoo in one area. Andew being the selfless man he is, asks from the boat "do I wan't my gun?" I knew the shot was OK & the sliptip would be fine so replied "no I'm fine, get in, its wahoo soup in here, theres big fish everywhere. This is where I went wrong. Imagine how funny it could have been if I'd taken his gun, quickly shot another & said "hang on to this will you"! Of course it would only have been funny if Andrew was to later to shoot a larger one, which I didnt know at the time. Anyway we all shot a few & went & got the other divers. Everyone bar "one" person on the boat shot a wahoo that day up too 50kg. I'll save the "One" for another fishy tail.

Cheers Sharkey

Attachments

• SCN_0034.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: Dude George
All right, I can't resist. This was a while back, when big fish were more abundant, but still good.

We were towing in an area where you can tow for hours and see nothing but 35-40 ft deep hard, flat bottom and clear water, then fill the boat on the one coral head you do find. Two guys in the water, I'm driving and driving and driving, about bored to death. Both guys drop off and come up pretty quick with good size grouper. Here we go! I had whipped the boat around, and at the sight of the fish dropped the anchor and grabbed my gear, knowing the other two could handle what they had. Dropped in and saw a 10 ft diameter coral head in the distance, with several big grouper and assorted hogs heading in that direction. By the time I got over the head the bigger fish had disappeared inside. I was focused on the big head, but registered a smaller one just off to the side, figured both had fish. OH BOY! This place is loaded. Adrenalin surged as I dropped toward the head, looking for a hole to take a shot into. About that time the smaller head moved a tad. What?? that's no head. A grouper? I changed direction just the slightest and drifted down on him. Shot was just behind the head, perfect spine shot, the fish never even quivered. Happened so fast, I'd had no time to think about how big he was and was now so close I couldn't see, could only tell big. reached my arm around him and it wasn't long enough. Hmm, very big. Began to swim him to the surface, which took much longer than it should. Hmmm even bigger. I'm going to need some help at the boat. Swam him over to the boat, afraid every second he would wake up. He didn't. Boat was empty. Everybody else is still fighting fish and I still haven't got a good look at the fish. Now, my boat had very low sides. You could get a 40 lber onto your back and roll him into the boat by yourself, no problem. I tried that . . . not even beginning to be a chance. How big IS this guy???? Ever try to use one hand to crawl into a boat while wearing fins and using the other hand to hold one of the biggest grouper you've ever seen? It wasn't pretty. Wish somebody had a camera. Video would have been priceless.

Anyway, the fish weighed 80 lbs, my biggest, before or since.

Reactions: Dude George
SWEEET!!! Nice fish!! Great story! You can be glad you stoned it otherwise you'd have had your hands full, or is that fins??!! LOL

Come on guys!! Reply. I want to hear nice spearfishing stories! It can also be a fish you thought was huge but wasn't so big in reality!!

we've got quite a big spearo community in our city and a local forum busting with vis reports and anecdotes. one of our members organised a 3 day trip up to the great barrier island (NZ) on an old but trusty charter vessel. Up to this day I had a good understanding of spearfishing but unfortunately has been limited to our local beaches and the odd trip to some reefs. Snapper snooping and hunting kingfish is excellent further up north at this spot and I desperately wanted to get my hands on my first snapper ever (they're very wary and once you're spotted you only have about 3sec before they take off). most guys on the boat knew each other from the forum and former trips and the seasoned lads shared a many good tips on how to shoot this priced fish. I've got invited on the launch of one of the 'ol' boys' and on our way to my spot got told to not keep my hopes high to even see a snapper and "it takes about 3 trips up north to even spot them"… stories like this weren't encouraging but with an outlook of spending the next 6 to 8 hours in the water I was kinda confident.
after having seen my first couple of them after about an hour (and missed of course) I learned only by doing: sun in the back, snorkel out of the mouth, silently submerging the fins, etc… the first day went without having shot anything, all other fish were out of the equation. I've set my mind on snapper and I wanted one. only one to make the trip. when the boats returned in the evening, most guys had already heaps of luck and brought all kind of fish and sure, snapper too.
the next morning I went to a different spot and started my snooping routine, when peeking over a ledge i spotted my first potential victim. not a price catch but a good start. I aimed, pulled the trigger and hit the rock behind it - no fish. pretty frustrated I reloaded and reconsidered my technique while bouncing along the surface. the sun was right in front of me now, but I couldn't turn so I might as well make the best of it. I hovered over the next ledge when I spotted a big fin peeking out of the weeds. I couldn't really see what it was but I thought to myself might as well shoot it and ask questions later. the fish still hasn't seen me so I aimed waaay to long, lined up my (blunt) spear and hit him right on the temple…
Turned out to be the second biggest snapper of our trip and won me a bottle of bourbon! but the best thing was the stories and high fives to go with it for a fish I (apparently) wasn't even supposed to see. I can honestly say that this kind of hunting is what makes spearfishing such fun challenge in NZ and I'm looking forward to my next trip to snapper-country (in two weeks, yay!). 15lb of smiles attached…

Yep. just rolled over and all four legs in the air… : ) Lucky too – I forgot my knife that day so had nothing to iki it.

Nice. That is an excellent story!! I was lucky with my first fish too. I stoned it and forgot the knife back at camp. oooops. LOL Thanks for the awesome story

Hi everyone. Thought I'd breathe life into the thread again. Hehe. My funny story is: In Jan, my brother and I was spearfishing in about 5m of water. He was spearing close by me. I dove down, see a fish BANG!! Nice parrotfish.

NExt dive, BANG another fish. 2 dives later BANG another fish. Right under my brothers nose!! He wasn't very impressed!

Feel free to share your story with everyone. Cheers

A memorable story, as requested by our young mate.

In Sydney the Aust East coast current picks up around new years. This current brings warm water down from the north & with it warm water pelagic fish. By about the fourth week in January we usually get a run of small black marlin (30 to 80 kgs) off Sydney which travel in a cluster or wave. The progress can be tracked by talking to other fishers up the coast as this wave of fish moves south. 90% of the black marlin speared off Sydney are taken in the last week of January.

The story I'll share is memorable for several reasons, It was just myself & my father in the boat this day. I was diving & he was boat boy for me. I also met for the first time two young blokes who have now been mates for 17 years & we have made several trips together to the Coral Sea. The marlin is the least "memorable" part of the story, however I hope I'll be able to pass on a few spearing tips which could be of help to others.

It's January 26th 1997 & my father & myself launch the little "Haines" from Little Manly as the sun rises. The water is flat as we travel along the inside of North Head & turn north into a northerly swell as we round the headland. My plan is to head to the wave rider bouys 10 klm east of long reef. These are set in 100m of water & used to measure wave height & frequency, but also serve to act as FAD's & dolphin fish are usually abundant. My plan is to drift past these all day & see if a marlin turns up.

On arrival at the bouys there is another boat load of spearo's. I have seen these guy's at the boat ramp before & said G'day, but we had never gotten into a conversation or introduced ourselves. Isn't it funny how as soon as you see other spearo's when out on the ocean it's like you've been mates for ever. Anyway they Introduce themselves as Cav & Abo ( I can't remember who their third diver was). The water is green & cold (21 C & about 5m vis) & the boys have been boated by a large whaler & a couple of makos which are hanging around. My first thought is "Great, they haven't shot the place up". I can remember Cav asking "are you getting in with those sharks" I replied with a smile & a nod, & asked "aren't you"? . My old man then made humorous remark about my sanity which was well received by the others.

I like to use the Riffe floats because they tow well behind the boat, so as we motored up current of the bouy this went in first & I fed out my bungee to untangle the usual mess. Weight belt on, fins, mask grab the gun & over the side. Load rubbers & look up to check my drift will take me past the bouy, then into hunting mode. Did I say 21C & 5 m vis? It seemed colder & worse but at least the dolphin fish were there. There was no way I'd be able to relax enough to do drifts all day in this water waiting for something bigger, so the dolphin fish became the target. The first one was just under 10 kgs & it brought the whaler in for a look & a mako circled a few meters below. I did a couple more drifts & speared a couple more dolphin fish till the sharks became too cheeky to fish with.

I discussed with Cav & Abo the fact that the water & vis was very patchy & we had passed through several clear warm & then dirty puddles on the way out. The water around the bouys could clear up again anytime if one of these puddles of clear water came through. In the end we decided to move closer to shore as there was some reef in about 70m were I knew some fish traps were set & the floats hold dolphin fish. As it was, the water was poor here too. The boys & I then parted company as they were heading back to the coast & I was going to tow some teasers to see if I could get a marlin up on them.

The first marlin I saw that day was "tailing" along the surface. The old man dropped me ahead of the fish & it was then his job to point to where the fish was as once I was set in the water, its almost impossible to see a tail fin unless conditions are glass like. The marlin wasn't interested in me & lived for another day. Moving closer to long reef the water was improving & in around 30m of water I spot another marlin tailing. Again I jump in ahead, again the marlin beats me. The teasers have raised zero fish this day. I bump into an old mate from one of the South Sydney spearfishing clubs on a reef close to long reef & he too has duffed the stalk on a marlin. Dejected I decide to call it a day & turn for home.

Bluefish Point is the northern most point of the three ocean facing points that make up North Head. The northern entrance to Sydney Harbour. Bluefish is a great spot for spearing & is also easily accessible for "rock hopping" spearo's. It is one of the best spots to spear big kingfish, the only drawback is there is always strong current when the fish are running & the land based spearo has to swim against this throughout the dive & into it to get out.

As we pass bluefish on the way back to the boat ramp the old man persuades me to "jump in & shoot a kingy" & after taking a look at the water its a no brainer. It's blue & warm. The best spot at this point is were the swell hits the cliff & the wash gets picked up by the current & pushed out over deep water. Under this foam the baitfish aggregate. This is were I dive. It's very fishy as soon as I jump in, schools of bonito tuna & small king fish, even bream are in midwater under the suds, its an aquarium. I make several dives to about 15m & pass up kingies in the 10 kg range sure that there will be bigger fish coming through. I dive down through the foam again & spot some larger kingies passing below, unfussed I travel down to their level with my back now to the current. As I'm watching them a small black marlin swims a meter above me & over my right shoulder, instinctively I point & fire hitting the fish a little to low below the spine. Its here that the gear that one use makes all the difference in landing the fish at times like this. The spear tip was a rife slip tip & I had 3 x 6m riffs bungees attached to the back of the gun. (I "NEVER" use breakaways even on large fish). Had I been just using a straight shaft & no bungees I would have no doubt dropped the fish. Marlin & sailfish are very clean fighters when speared & this one was no different it made strong runs for its size but never sounded or looked for reef. I had the bungee tied around its tail in a few minutes.

As luck would have it Cav & Abo come past just as I'm boating the fish. Of course I rarely ever had a camera in those days but they did & were very kind to take a few photos for me. This also meant that they had to get them developed & drop them off to me which gave us a chance to catch up & introduce ourselves properly. They have remained close friends since & the fact that I was with my Father this day has made it one of my most memorable. The fish is just the thread that sows all these relationships between us & the ocean together, its not the trophy or the focus of my memories of this day, it was the company & the ocean.

Just to touch back on Bluefish Point for others who may be interested, IMO its the best place I know that a land based spearo could shoot & land a small marlin. The wave of fish usually (4 years out of 5 with some years better than others) come through in the last week of January & the wave as I have said can be monitored & tracked by communicating with other fisho's up the coast. A diver prepared to push against the current all day for a few days would I'm sure be presented with an opportunity.

Hopefully some find some points here interesting. I'll try to post some photos as taken by Cav on that day.

Thanks
Sharkey

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars
I think a lot of us, including me, are reluctant to tell our stories because we've already told them. We don't want to be repetitive.

But maybe some time when I've had more grape juice. Until then, a search for my name will reveal a few from the last few years.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…