• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Feel Like starting a comic about Freediving.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RPGgrenade

Feb 20, 2012
Yep. Finally felt like making one for myself. I already have a general premise and characters and such. I just felt that Glaucos, although a well drawn and good representative of the sport, is a rather bland story without much interest to keep one interested for very long.

I haven't started it yet, and I'm contemplating it being set mostly within Chile (At least for training and non-competitive deep dives) because it's pretty much the only country i know well enought that's at least slightly exotic XD

Just letting you guys know about this in case you're interested in its development or something. I will definitely be asking a lot about equipment and stuff like that and lurking around the forums to find info that i need.

Any questions about the story are welcome.

Same here!

Maybe include equipment as a way of advertisement? - it's funny how recognisable masks, fins etc are to people like us.

Also you could make a Youtube presentation out of it and have google pay you for the views. You can even have multiple story lines develop and cross in this ongoing youtube story. Perhaps build a nice mystery around your writer's personality (who is the true writer?) Sell hard copies online. Since freediving characters are rather diverse and colourful people you'll have plenty of characters to build / draw from. Also incorporating interesting (known and unknown) global locations will appeal to the adventurous mind.
Add some challenging philosophy, women, career choices, fortune etc and you're set. :D

I must say that when I figure out the writer's background and believes I start loosing interest, so please keep those and challenge me with exotic, new and interesting angles, unknown links. Maybe you can get some unique info from characters like Seb Murat to incorporate in your story, a sort of preview of possible next gen techniques? Divulging some of the record setting mysteries would be very cool.

Also the struggle many face when dealing with our misunderstanding environment.
Believable characters please. I always loose my appeal for characters when they do stupid things, while there were so many other better and logical options around. Please let all the characters have an IQ of more then 100. I love to be surprised with their unpredictable cleverness.

Hope you find this info supportive and helpful.

So now you're doing 'book research' instead just freediving? ;)

Dude you're going very far with the idea way too quickly haha. As for characters that's always the thing i focus most on, some are believeable, some aren't (but they aren't retarded like in Avatar). Also I try to steer clear of incorporating any characters based off of real life (mostly just famous) people. I am the writer so there really isn't much more mystery involved, haha.

As for the by the book stuff, I generally do go by the book for the sake of accuracy, as it's easy to mess up on something someone could point out.

If I recall correctly, you made that cocktail bar comic? I liked that one very much. Though I've no infinity with drinking alcohol, I loved the way the tenders managed to feel and read their customers. The competition and rivalry was not attractive to me. The preparation of the cocktails was. Thanks for sharing!

if that's the case you're not going to like the rest of the comic, because it's just going to go back and forth between those things a lot. and the competition stuff is to raise tension before the deeper stuff comes back to haunt them or whatever. because i've read so many comics that were only the phylosophical side and only ranting characters it soon became soooo boring, that's why i have both the slightly more 'actiony' stuff and more psychological stuff... and there's a bit later one that fuses the two for short periods of time. I can't comply with everybody's preferences, so i try the next best thing which is to switch between two extremes generally. So the freediving comic will no doubt contain rivalry and the struggle to prevent rivalry as it corrupts the concentration and such and such, monologues for characters and philosphical things along with ridiculous situations and comedy and possibly some weirder things. =/ It's how i write, sorry.... and you can't change how i write cuz it's how i learned haha

I feel like I'm coming across as arrogant, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars
hehe well YOU are the expert, I'm just a lone wolf finding the struggle for dominance over other rather a primal simple instict that in itself to me looks boring. Though it can drive to some unique and interesting struggles and approaches. And this all is from a person who does (less now) occasional competitions.

We can talk about nice potential points of friction in Freediving, but I think the surprise if what comes out of head is much more interesting. I trust you can make the simplest of things interesting, because you are.

Love courage and water,

Kars

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT