• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Feet giving me electric shocks!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
1st noticed it a few weeks back finning. Got a sharp shock on the top side of my foot. No lasting pain , but sudden and the kinda pain that makes you want to wrench. Alike an electric shock.

Has been getting worse over the past few weeks, and this week although I havn't finned recently is causing me some problems (at times struggling to walk without adopting a flat foot approach). Doctor is taking blood test and xray but have to wait for results.

The pain is focused from the tendon of the two toes next to my large toe. Only suffering from the left foot.

As it first occured when I was finning I thought there may be a link. , also have been using new fins this season. It may be unrelated but has anyone else suffered from this kind of pain? :crutch

Reactions: Pastor
Only suffering on the left foot? Do you only wear one sock as well? rofl

Reactions: Pav
You might have one foot slightly larger than the other, quite common, and maybe new fins are causing localised cramp? Otherwise i'm not sure, unless a 9v battery sneaked into your bootie?

Its not a cramp sensation. Tendon feels like its involved. No pain before or afterwards.

and thanks Pastor! ;>)

The electric shock is what is medically known as Tinel's sign, it caused by tapping a (often irritated/inflamed) nerve, cause an electric discharge down the nerve tract.
I tight fin pocket will push on the dorsal pedal nerve running on the top of the foot. Your foot probably used to "sleep" or go numb before, now your nerve has become slightly irritated and inflamed causing the hypersensitivity.
you need to get a larger foot pocket and protect the nerve with a sock.
You can elicit the same pain/electric shock by tapping on the foot at the line on the foot pocket on your foot.
I hope this helps you.

Reactions: agbiv, Pav and trux
thanks, seems like a good explanation, and you describe the sensation well.
How do I treat the inflamation of the nerve, or will it settle down?

Doctor's advice
there are various options:
1. If you don't use sock's, get a bigger foot pocket and a sock
2. just get a bigger foot pocket and tape over your foot on the contact line between the fin and foot
3. if this does not work, get a cortico steriod infiltration (20-40mg Depo-Medrol) on the inflamed nerve, and protective measures
4. Stop diving for a while (impossible)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT