• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fiberglass Fin Problems

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

David Biron

Feb 2, 2003
I have a pair of waterways blades and the rubber "T"moulding keeps coming off. This leads to blade seperation from the side channel of the foot pocket. Does anyone else have this problem?
I have to always cary a backup set of plastic fins for when this occurs.
Also, was wondering what you thought was the stiffest and most reliable freediving fin?
Maybe I wouldn't have a problem with the waterways had I gone with a #5 blade instead of a #3?

I had the same problem with my Sproasub Radicals and my C4's.

Get some Aquaseal and glue those blades into place. Or, ala Sven, use some 3M 5200 marine sealant and glue them in place. The 3M stuff comes in white or black, but is a bit messier to use than the Aquaseal.

My C4-40's are a stiff reliable fin, but I prefrer my C4-30's much better for all around diving as they are much easier on my legs, and knees in particular.

I'm hoping that someone coming to Freedive-A-Palooza has a pair of 80's for me to try.;)

Jon

My C4's have the same problem and I don't like to glue the blades in as it makes them stiffer, too stiff with the Omer pockets. Sunday, when the blade came loose, I just pushed it back in and continued diving. The next time it came out, I was kicking hard and the blade failed at the bend. Does anyone have a 30 or 40 blade that they'd be willing to part with?
Aloha
Bill

Bill,

Sorry, no C4 blades that I can part with.

I do have a, single, Sporasub PURE blade that I am willing to part with.

Jon

Aloha Jon
Thanks for the offer. The Pures are a too stiff now for my leg, but maybe I can try one on the good leg and a 40 on the weak one. Make an interesting test bed if the kick wasn't so different. I have a new pair of Waterways, but after one dive, I let Matt try them and he may or may not give them back after he uses them in Cyprus. I'm negotiating now with my personal bookkeeper about spending about $400 for a pair of 80's.
Bill

David,
I have the #3 blades and the sides separate when I walk on rocks when entering or exiting. It doesn't separate on swim. It is a pain, and I end up having to slam it back in place with my palm. I was thinking about putting silicone to help it stay in place but still make it easy to remove to change the blade. The #3s are feeling softer and softer as my legs get stronger, I may be ready for #4s later this summer. I'm 175lbs., perhaps a heavier diver may experience the fin separation problem and may need stiffer blades...or a tube of silicone. If you fix the problem, let us know how you did it. Aloha.

David,
I just re-read your post and realized you were talking about the molding, and not fin pocket rails/side. The T molding came loose on one of my first dives. A little super glue in the T and along the entire lengthy, fixed that problem. It's been good since. I check it often, since it can ruin a dive. Hope this helps.

C4 blade breakage?

Hi Bill,

If you managed to break a C4 blade you're pretty famous, it's not an easy thing to do:) Anyhow, as long as you still have the receipt and date of purchase from here in the US send it back to us and we'll replace it for you at no charge.

Good luck,

Mark
ps-the 80's are not good for spearfishing if that's what you mostly do, only deep free diving

Thanks Mark. They're old blades and the only way that I broke one was to use it after the rails came off. They've been bullet proof for almost three years. Seldom do any spearfishing any more but if I'd had a pair of 30s twenty years ago, the White Seabass population would have suffered some. With the new technology in fins, I think that carbon is a lot of money for a tiny increase in performance. I couldn't afford Italian cars or shotguns over the years so this will be my contribution to their economy.
Aloha
Bill

>> I couldn't afford Italian cars or shotguns over the years so
>> this will be my contribution to their economy.

Hmmm, I seem to remember some bicycles in the garage having pretty names ending with an I. ;-)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT