• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fight of flight mechanism in freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Christophe Hopchet

May 27, 2020
Hi everyone!

I'm writing my instructor thesis about the fight or flight mechanism in freediving. I'm new to the subjet and i'm still looking for a good angle of approach. Questions I ask myself are; What are the most common triggers? What's the relation of the fight or flight mechanism with the mamalian dive reflex? Can you supress the mechanism and how? Does fight or flight only affects beginners? What if it hits you during a deep dive?
Can anyone help me with insight or documentation?

Thanks a lot!
Kind regards,
Christophe

Hi everyone!

I'm writing my instructor thesis about the fight or flight mechanism in freediving. I'm new to the subjet and i'm still looking for a good angle of approach. Questions I ask myself are; What are the most common triggers? What's the relation of the fight or flight mechanism with the mamalian dive reflex? Can you supress the mechanism and how? Does fight or flight only affects beginners? What if it hits you during a deep dive?
Can anyone help me with insight or documentation?

Thanks a lot!
Kind regards,
Christophe

That's a very challenging sets of questions to answer..

I'd say that you shouldn't ever experience a F-or-F response at all during freediving. If you do it's because something went wrong.

-Common triggers is something/anything going wrong and the diver being aware of it.

-(it takes ages to find articles, so I'll leave that to you), but the dive response is 'technically' a stress response. The more stressed you are (F-or-F) the stronger it should be, however you'll still consume more O2, which is why diving stressed never works well. **like I said, can't find articles but there have been some experiments done on ducks and seals being forced to hold their breath, and the more stressed the animals were the stronger their DR. (These studies were quoted in the book 'Deep', by James Nestor.

-The mechanism can be supressed (in my opinion) by being well prepared for the diving you're about to do including bad situations. No matter what, if something dangerous and unexpected happens that you aren't prepared for, F-or-F will be triggered. If you've thought of, and prepared a solution to these potential problems, then F-or-F won't be an issue if they do actually happened for real.

- I think F-or-F can affect any level of diver, it's just much more likely to affect beginners because they have much less experience dealing with uncomfortable situations that may arise during a freedive, and are therefor more likely to panic than calmly resolve the situation.

in my case, I remember on one of my first dives to 25m, my lanyard got tangled on the bottom, and this totally freaked my out.. I yanked it a few times, then ripped off the wrist part and sprinted back to the surface extremely out of breath (complete 'Flight' response). Last year, this happened to me at 66m, and I had no reaction to it. I calmly sank back down to the plate, unstrapped my lanyard, untangled it, and then ascended with it in my hand. Overall, it was actually a really nice dive. So with experience, it's possible that 'bad' situations don't affect you as much or at all.

- If it hit's on a deep dive (let's assume a tangled lanyard panic, at 60m).. I think it's very likely to result in a squeeze, there are significantly increased chances of BO or LMC.. Most likely you'll get much stronger contractions, and you'll probably end up sprinting the whole way back the surface. Again, the idea is to at least psychologically prepare for these types of unexpected situations so that you can deal with them calmly and never reach F-or-F mode.

I'd say that you shouldn't ever experience a F-or-F response at all during freediving. If you do it's because something went wrong.
I don't agree with that. When diving you're in a wild environment. This is somewhat less true when diving in a pool, but even there you're not a liveable environment for humans so even a single spark of doubt or anxiety, or something simple as a sudden cramp can trigger a runaway reaction.
When diving in the blue, and especially when spearfishing, you're bound to come across unexpected situations. Entanglements is one, but interaction with the sealife is another, and one that you cannot predict.

The fight-or-flight response keeps us alive. It's a good thing. But you have to learn how to handle it.

A long time ago at a scuba club I had an instructor who challenged us all the time. He did this by sneaking up from behind, grabbing you regulator and tieing it behind you, or stealing your mask, shutting the tank's valve, having us swim laps with a weight belt wrapped around the legs, buddy-breathing with a blindfolded mask, or even simply by acting as if there is something very very wrong, in order to induce panic. I sometimes joked about him not teaching us how to dive, but how to drown. He did this to get us familliar with the panic. This way we learned to react to unforseen events in a way of "oh, hey, that's interesting.." instead of "omgimgonnadie!".
When I started climbing I trained myself the same way. I would ask the belayer to randomly short-rope me, I would intentionally climb of-route, etc.

A training like this doesn't supress the fight-or-flight mechanism, but it puts you in control of it.

Last edited:
Hi all,

During my research about fight or flight mechanism in freediving i'm trying to understand how stress and the MDR are affecting each other. Which respose is dominant. I've found an article about 'autonomic conflic' explaining that bradycardia (triggerd by MDR) and tachycardia (triggerd by stress) can happen at the same time and lead to irregular heart rythm which can be dangerous. Has this ever occured during freediving? The figure i'm posting underneath gives a good explaination on the matter.

This is the link to the paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3459038/

Thanks!
Christophe
Autonomic conflict.jpg

Reactions: xristos
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT