• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fiji or Mexico

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

freediver7

Jun 9, 2004
Anyone been freediving on Tavarua Fiji in July?
I have limited vacation time and will need to scrap a Mexico dive trip for yellow fin to make the time.
I have extensive experience diving cooler waters and limited experience in the tropics.
What should I expect freediving Tavarua?

fiji

Expect lots of sharks. Not just 5 or ten but 20-50 at a time. There are good fish there but you need to put the time in the water. The reef passes are always full of fish but beware the closer you get to the mouth of them the more sharks there are. You can shoot everything from Coral Trout to Marlin there and the guys at Tavarua know where to go. They shoot some good fish and have the equipment.
Contact a guy in PAcific Harbor named Charlie who owns the Beqa Princess and he will put you on to the most hardcore stuff you would ever want to deal with.
Bring your cojones and a rounded pintail.
Cameron

10-4 on that one blueh2oboy. A friend of mine goes to fiji every year. He says there are tons of fish of many many varieties. He does not spear but scuba dives. He said there are a crap load of sharks, even tigers. But they are not too agressive for the most part. Also told me the visibility is unlimited. Sounds like an amazing place.

Thanks Guys, I think I'll barrow my friend’s electric shark repellant thing. What type of gun would you bring?

take as long a gun as you feel confortable using, around the reef the visibility is extreme and fish can see you just as clearly as you can see them, so you need as much range as possible.

woudn't hurt.... well unless the sharks got REALLY interested too....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT