• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin experiences

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pinniped72

May 18, 2013
What fins have you used and how did you find them? I thought it could be an interesting thread........... what diver doesn't like talking about fins!? I have used Oceanic Vipers open heel, Cressi Master Frogs open heel and Seac Shout S900.

The Vipers were easy on the legs but didn't have the power to handle reasonable current in my opinion. You couldn't get the power into them, like a low gear on a bike, the kicks didn't transfer into sufficient power for what I needed, too flexible and didn't move enough water. They were very comfortable and reasonably priced but I wouldn't want to get into a tricky situation whilst wearing them to be honest.

Cressi Master Frogs, great fins, move a lot of water, comfortable, rugged but......................... not for the weak of leg, if you weren't used to any exercise and bought these you would find your legs struggling very quickly. A great all around fin in my opinion and very reasonably priced but to dive with them, you really should keep a fitness programme involving leg and core strengthening exercises between dives if your dives are infrequent, which I feel is important for being in the water anyway. I have used them for bodyboarding before, not ideal I know but they took a bit of a beating and survived unscathed. For an open heel they are great and reliably transfer leg power into motion. Would happily wear these in any conditions.

Seac Shout S900, fantastic fins, stiffness is just about right for me, moderate efforts give good motion and if you put your back into them they really deliver. Very well priced, great foot pockets, I recommend fin retainers as they increase performance even further, at least in my experience. I spend a fair time surface swimming as opposed to diving deep and for this situation they are ideal, they deliver more propulsion and torque for want of a better word than the Master Frogs but are no were near as tiring on the legs. My float when I use it :D is made from boat fenders and not the most hydrodynamic thing in the water and I use a home made drogue with it which I can happily tow around all day as necessary with these fins, cant recommend them enough. Only downside is the crippling walk on pebble beaches if I am not using my float and have nowhere to store my neoprene slippers :D

I generally use Imersion carbons. Good to at least 40m, and great on the surface. I also have Dessault footpockets and SpecialFins medium bluewater blades. They have smaller footpockets for tropical diving.

I mostly use my DOL-Fin Orca monofin. I compete with it, and use it recreationally. I even use it for spearing. It's the monofin that can do everything. Great comfort and high performance all in one package. I set a national record in dynamic with my Orca a few years back, but haven't done any competitions since then.

Ron_Orca2_Turning_Aug2015_cropped.jpg

Many thanks for the replies ;) REVAN, how do you find using a monofin for spearing, do you prefer it to the bi fins for spearing?

I like it. I was in the Bahamas for a week with a pole spear. I felt like King Triton! ;)

I've had good experiences with a float and gun too (just not in the Bahamas). I've been using a monofin for my primary fin for so long that I'm pretty used to maneuvering with it. Bi-fins actually feel a bit foreign to me now.

This was a cosmetic video in that I was diving from a boat that didn't want me bringing fish onboard. So, I couldn't actually take any fish, but we shot some video just to show what it is like hunting with the monofin.

Reactions: Pinniped72
I have only used cheapo fins (vintage British-made full foot rubber fins + modern plastic blade full foot fins) + Beuchat Competition fins, but I have 2 pairs of the latter. I can't fault them for what I do. I was tempted to upgrade them last year when I broke a blade (in extremis, and after 9 years of use, abuse and painting) but in the end couldn't be bothered with all the hassle that I knew would entail - so instead I opted get new blades (brown) for my old fins & a new pair (with black blades) as spare. So now I have: a primary pair, a secondary pair, a spare old blade and some spare new clips & fittings that will fit either pair; enough to keep me going for the next 10 or 20 years, God willing! I might be tempted to go for clear or brown camo fibreglass blade upgrades in the future, if they become available at a reasonable price. I can't see paying hundreds of pounds for spearing fins/blades - as they are too vulnerable to loss or damage.

Some folk prefer Omer fins/footpockets but I really can't imagine a better fitting footpocket for me than the Beuchat. I have stocky "Anglo-Saxon feet", too wide for Nikes & LaSportiva footwear; yet Beuchat have the reputation for being good for narrow feet! Go figure. If the water is warm in the Summer, my feet swell, so I take off my socks and the fins fit great & it helps keep me from overheating. When it gets colder, I put socks on and they fit great and they help keep me warm. Perfect. :)

Perhaps if I tried something else I would like that too?

Cressi Gara 3000 - awesome fins. I put a lot of mileage on them. I actually sold my monofin recently, but at some point I did spearfish with monofin as well. Possible, but not nearly as practical as long blade bi-fins.

Nemo wing from "water way" company in Kiev. Kind of a budget fin. Good friend of mine bought it from me for 100$, basically ripped it from my hands and ran with it.

I mostly swim in my WaterWay training monofin Model 1. That's the best fin to learn the proper technique! Great and comfort monofin for both pool and open water practise. I used to swim 12km everyday in the pool with my monofin)
m1.jpg

Reactions: Pinniped72
Hi chaps, Andrew the fish is spot on with the Cressi Garra plug they are quality all the way and I never wore socks with mine and no discomfort after a long day. I now have the Cressi LD's but don't like these quite as much just not as comfy, but love my Beuchat Carbon's which I mostly use now. Picked them up for half price and not gone easy on them. I am impressed with their foot pockets which have duel density like the Cressi Garras and the pure effortless power. I'm not sure if this is due to the material or the Beuchat design but as long as your legs are up to it these things have dropped my heart rate 10 BPM during normal diving and surface swimming. I guess the most significant thing I can nominate is returning to the surface from depth (20m +) the felling of low cost accent is reassuring to me.

I generally use Imersion carbons. Good to at least 40m, and great on the surface. I also have Dessault footpockets and SpecialFins medium bluewater blades. They have smaller footpockets for tropical diving.
Where did you buy the specialfin.?
There website seems to be untouch since 2010, and they do not reply my emails.?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT