• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fin fit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

wigma

Jan 5, 2002
I recently bought a set of Omer Millenium blacks in a size 44/46. With a 3mm bootie, the fins are snug yet comfortable across the forefoot and my heel fits relatively snuggly into the heel pocket.

On either side of my foot just forward of the ankles, I have about a finger's width of space, which doesn't surprise me given that my ankle and heel are narrow. If I push my foot forward as far as it will go, I can put an index finger in the foot pocket behind the heel.

I'm sorry to be posting a question this basic. I live in a rural area of NC and haven't had the opportunity to try on any fins so any input would be appreciated. I have ordered the next size of Omers (42/44) and will return whichever pair doesn't fit. Also, would fin keepers help in this situation?

Since I won't have the opportunity to swim with the fins, I am looking for an expert's opinion. Thanks ahead for any wisdom.

This is a bit of a tough one! Remember that since you are new with the big fins, you are going to probably get sore feet and cramps when you start diving no matter how well the fins fit, so whatever you end up keeping, give them the benefit of the doubt for a while. Hopefully after some use you can return them unscratched for the right fit if need be.
Regarding the gap in the side, if your feet do not move around inside the foot pocket then they are probably ok. Any of that will cause innefficiency and horrible chafing! The feet should be as snug as possible without causing loss of circulation and cramping.
I think that if the 44/46 are snug, then the 42/44 might be too tight.
I have narrow feet as well, and have some Cressis and Sporasub fins, which are both comfortable. My wife has OMERs; her feet are wider than mine.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Thanks for the input. I suspected that the purchase of fins would be a "process" as all my sports endeavors have proven to be. I may try a 5 mm sock or add padding to the appropriate areas on the 3 mm socks. This is not new to me as all my cycling shoes and ski boots have required the same.

I keep hearing that Cressi's and Sporasub fins may have narrower foot pockets. I have the "sense" that trying some of those may be in my future.

By the way, I have been very impressed with this forum in regards to member's willingness to provide input and share knowledge with newbies.

Hello wig...

I think it's in your best interests to use fin keepers, or fixe palmes to help you with keeping your newest purchases on your person. Regardless of how good the foot pockets and thus the fins, fit, a little extra retention ain't a bad thing.

I still use em, even with the open heel Esclapaz' I have to wear as my feet are too big to fit in the fins that supposedly go to a size 14.5 US., once I slip on a pair of 5mm socks. I figured I wouldn't need keepers until the second time I used them and one was stripped off my foot by a real thick and violent swell out of nowhere... Now I have three fins.

sven

fin keepers

Hello Sven,

I suspected that fin keepers/"fixie poms" would be something I would have to look into given thet narrowness of my feet. I will be ordering those shortly.

Thanks for the input,

Regards,
MW

There's another thread here somewhere that has a few of us going on about adding material to boots and socks to take up space in the footpocket. It pretty much just involves adding different thicknesses of material to the sock with glue and some stitiches. It sounds fairly straight forward, though I've not had to go that route.

sven

take no prisoners

Hi,

At times the sea can be a pretty rough place, and unless I'm surfing or windsurfing I tend to try to avoid it then. Like Sven, I have had stuff literally ripped off of me, but that was not in a calm setting. Unless the fins fit really loose, or unless it is rough, you don't likely need fin keepers. It sounds like a better bet is to work on the fit. In my case and a few others this means driving stretchers into the fins between dives because of the bias toward smaller feet on the part of the folks that make the foot pockets. An option that you might want to try, especially if its cold is to get a pair of big 2mm booties and cut the toe out of them and wear them over your fins. This will keep them on and add some warmth.

Best wishes, and safe diving,

FD48

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT