• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin length?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

snask

Sep 25, 2020
Hello! I've been searching equipment to start spearing. I see that long freediving fins is whats it all about but I was wondering if maybe these 85-90cm beasts are maybe not the most effective on surface and shallower beginner depths? I see there are a few options on a medium length like mundial 50, and avanti Quattro. Would this be easier for a beginner going less deep or long freedivers still better for this?

Reactions: Mr. X
I started of with mares razor black years ago i agree with the weight and leg strenth you could spent lots of money or 50 to 100 and find good finns the important part is knowing how to use a good body technique on desent and ascent to much lead or to little lead on the belt or harness then consider for winter or summer it important that your finns are not tight on your feet in winter you need good circulation or youll get cold feet presently i use cressi gara professional black and the grey pair the blade of fins are soft medium or hard

Reactions: Mr. X
My 90cm Beuchat Competition fins certainly force a much lower cadence than regular fins but they have plenty of oomph in strong currents/rips. I have strong legs, feels like you need them! They take some getting used to.

I also have a pair of Apnea Storm (short) fins, 78cm. Significantly easier to fin with but still quite capable. But they don't have that same oomph for strong currents or ascending though. So in that regard, perhaps not as safe?

The lengths above are measured from bottom of heel to furthest point at far end of the blade.

I recommend longer fins unless you are particularly small and/or light. But 78s are ok, not terrible by any means. I am quite large/heavy, so extra oomph is probably necessary! :D

Last edited:
Get some long fins that allows you to replace the blades in the future. I would start with soft plastic blades (unless you're too heavy) and then, switch to carbon. A comfortable footpocket is very important. Try them before purchasing.

Get some long fins that allows you to replace the blades in the future. I would start with soft plastic blades (unless you're too heavy) and then, switch to carbon. A comfortable footpocket is very important. Try them before purchasing.
Btw some footpockets are easier to upgrade than others. My Beuchat foot pockets can be upgraded but, because Beuchat use shallower rails than others (e.g. Mares, Omer), it usually involves irreversible modification, such as cutting the support "tendons" and possibly glue. Beuchat offer their own carbon fins, so perhaps the blades for those might fit my Competition footpockets without modification? But hard to find and expensive, unfortunately Beuchat don't seem interested in the upgrade market. :(

My spearing fins (3 pairs + a spare blade, excessive) all have plastic fins and work well for my 100kg mass. If Beuchat came out with an inexpensive (less than £100), slot-in carbon or carbon & fibreglass upgrade set of spearfishing blades (with fitting kit) for the Competition footpockets, I'd likely buy a set to try. But it's not worth a lot of hassle and expense to me.

I too used to think replaceable blades make most sense. But often the fixed blades are much cheaper and can last decades. Plastic blades rarely break but it can happen. The price of a pair of replaceable blade fins plus a replacement blade or 2 and fixing kit too often exceeds the price of 2 pairs of fixed blade fins - and you might only ever need the one pair.

Buying a new pair of carbon fins - if you shop around - can often be cheaper and/or better value than upgrading an old pair. That way you can keep your old fins as spares too.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT