• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fin size with socks ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sounds like my feet are about the same size - although mine are wide rather than long. I don't know about Cressi fins. However, my Speedo pool fins are size 44-45 (no socks) and my Beuchat spearing fins are 45-46 and my socks are 5mm but I only wear them in winter/spring. In Summer my feet tend to get larger and I don't want to overheat, so it is simpler not to wear socks. If you want to wear socks year round (most seem to), then 46-47 sounds about right to me. Shoes sizes notoriously vary, however, I have found the European sizes more consistent than UK or American size - your mileage may vary.

I have a vague recollection that Cressi fins might fit narrower feet better - but I've heard than said about Beuchat and they fit my wide feet very well. You can always get a better fit by changing the sock thickness used.

so should i think about getting two sets of fins one for pool and one for spearing and free diving? i'm thinking that 5mm socks will suck in the pool.... but my pool is kinda coldrofl

I dont find that the thickness of socks makes that much difference to foot warmth with any given size of footpocket.
There is only a limited amount of space between the foot and the footpocket, so thicker socks are just more compressed.
More important is to have the thickness of sock which gives you the best fit. As freedive fins come in a limited range of sizes, using different thickness's of sock is one way to get a more "custom" fit

cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

ok so go with the 45-46 with a 3 mm sock? i'm guessing that will give more power and less drag then the bigger pocket of the 46-47 with a 5 mm sock

I dont find that the thickness of socks makes that much difference to foot warmth with any given size of footpocket.
There is only a limited amount of space between the foot and the footpocket, so thicker socks are just more compressed.
More important is to have the thickness of sock which gives you the best fit. As freedive fins come in a limited range of sizes, using different thickness's of sock is one way to get a more "custom" fit

cheers
dave

Totally agree with that. My Omer foot pockets are a little loose with 3mm socks, a little tight with 5mm and just right with the 4mm socks I now use. Could be a touch psycological but I fell that even 1mm makes that difference although I can use 3, 4 or 5mm it is the 4mm ones that seem "right".

Dave.

Totally agree with that. My Omer foot pockets are a little loose with 3mm socks, a little tight with 5mm and just right with the 4mm socks I now use. Could be a touch psycological but I fell that even 1mm makes that difference although I can use 3, 4 or 5mm it is the 4mm ones that seem "right".

Dave.

what size feet do you have

My Omer footpockets are 46/48 and I take shoe size UK 10. My feet are about a 10/10.5 for width and 9.5/10 for length, so slightly wide for their length but not much and just short of a full UK 10 for length.

UK 10 is Euro 44.5 and USA 10.5 - International shoe size conversion chart

Dave
Be careful accepting any conversion between UK/Euro/US sizes -- the charts vary ridiculously. Sounds like my feet are similar size & shape to OMDs but I have US shoes, chosen for fit in shops, that vary from US 11 to US 12. I wear UK shoes chosen for fit in 10, 10.5 and 11.

Interesting point about sock thickness. I found a similar issue with skiing and moutaineering boots - tight boots feel colder (presumably because of restricted circulation). So sometimes, strangely, removing a pair of socks will actually warm your feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: dave
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT