• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

finally made the leap

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

monkeyhatfork

leaf game novice
May 31, 2007
Ok! so I quite my awful job sold just about everything I own aside from my fins and moved to KONA. there is a longer story there but heres a few pics from my first week at my new home instead video to come

Attachments

• they spinninweb.jpg
    they spinninweb.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 344
  • dofin1web.jpg
    dofin1web.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 326
  • dofin3web.jpg
    dofin3web.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 315
  • eelweb.jpg
    eelweb.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 328
  • dofin8web.jpg
    dofin8web.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 315
some bait ball stuff

Attachments

• baitball11webgood.jpg
    baitball11webgood.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 312
  • baitball6webgood.jpg
    baitball6webgood.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 348
  • baitball4webgood.jpg
    baitball4webgood.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 314
  • baitball3webgood.jpg
    baitball3webgood.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 328
  • baitball2webgood.jpg
    baitball2webgood.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 320
sorry heres that other stuff

Attachments

• dofin2web.jpg
    dofin2web.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 295
  • dofin5web.jpg
    dofin5web.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 297
  • dogweb.jpg
    dogweb.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 312
  • dofin9web.jpg
    dofin9web.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 314
  • baitball9webgood.jpg
    baitball9webgood.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 312
Amazing pictures mate!

Seems like you have a story to tell, so go ahead. And don't forget more pictures to brighten up these grey days us normal people have to live through.

Congrats Josh!!. Following your dream is something very few other people do.

Connor

All right, now you got to tell that "longer story." We won't let you rest till you do.

thanks connor, I just set up a website for all my freedive photo stuff www.joshspahr.com - Photos is now live. check it out. heres a few of my favorite pics from this morning

Attachments

• eelysiteemail.jpg
    eelysiteemail.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 305
  • freesiteemail.jpg
    freesiteemail.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 292

Attachments

• delphino2site.jpg
    delphino2site.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 279
  • delphino15site.jpg
    delphino15site.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 279
  • delphino1site.jpg
    delphino1site.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 278
  • delphino10site.jpg
    delphino10site.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 286
  • delphino14site.jpg
    delphino14site.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 286
Hey Josh,

The pics look like the dolphins are playing "with you", like spotted dolphins. I thought spinners did not do that.

Connor

yeah they will play just like spotters they are a bit more fickle u gotta catch them at playtime and spinners seem to be in rest mode by noon. the main difference is in diving with them spotters want u to dive with them if u dont they get bored and leave with spinners u have to pick your moment more carefully. i think because the crowds here are bigger in a smaller area there might be 6 boats leapfrogging people in and out plus people like myself that just swim out. 98% of those people will never break the surface so depth is the sanctuary and u gotta be more carefull your not invading that. also im sure my interactions were probably more substantial than most the charter guests that were out just because i have the gear and energy to follow them the whole time and be there at the right moments, ur not gunna get as much with a costco snorkel set and being bound to a boats swim guide and leapfrogging is no where near as successful as towing i think thats another huge factor. spotters play more too cause your towing and they get to play with the boat its also easier on the dolphins than dropping people in and out. im sure if ur in the water everyday they recognize u as well and most likely a higher comfort level. on fri they were in the bay but passed thru in stealth mode no boats even saw them im sure they have occasional hard nights hunting and go straight into rest mode and dont want to deal with people at all. spotters do this to u just wont find them on those days. spinners have to hug a small coastline if u want to find them its almost a gaurantee just cant gaurantee they want to be found. but yeah ive had equal interactions with spinners as with spotters. have even had them pass me pieces of seaweed while they play tag with it.anyway just some thought. would love to tow here.

Last edited:
keep in mind too much of this is taken in kailua bay. if u are at honaunau when they show . which is much deeper and way fewer people a place were they encounter very skilled freedivers on a regular basis thats a whole different thing.

That must be so nice! I'm in the military, so my best bet is to get PCS Orders to Hawaii. LOL! That's extremely unlikely! Maybe I'll get lucky

floridas not so bad tho warm water and a quick jump to bahamas not that im tradin places or anything

No it's not to bad. Just need a 5 mm wet suit from November - May ish. After that the water is warm again. Plus we have a bunch of springs that stay in the low 70's all year long.

All I'm saying is, If I had the choice, I would trade places! haha

occasionally i get invited to play the leaf game. epic morning pod 50+ strong mantas eels turtles everything was out n about. more pics up at www.joshspahr.com - Dolphins did some reorganizing on the site as well photos are now categorized on there own pages.

Attachments

• leafgameasite.jpg
    leafgameasite.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 274
  • leafgamebsite.jpg
    leafgamebsite.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 277
  • leafgamecsite.jpg
    leafgamecsite.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 270
  • leafgamedsite.jpg
    leafgamedsite.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 271
  • leafgameesite.jpg
    leafgameesite.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 264
Reactions: tycoonelyk
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT