• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fins floating up..

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

myfish

Apr 29, 2007
looking for practical idea's regards my fins floating up when doing agachon.

Mostly happens in less than 10 meters of water and its getting damn annoying.

Using omer pegaso which are quite heavy fins but as soon as my main weighting is touched down, of course, the bouyancy in the legs of my suit takes over.

I fish japweed beds alot so i want a very streamlined solution and also a solution that will still leave me positively bouyant should i decide to ditch my harness or belt.

Maybe as little as a pound will keep those fins flat, what do you reckon ?

Many spearo's use ankle weights, myself included. Between 1/2 and 1 lb on each ankle is the norm. I make my own and fit them over my socks but under my suit legs. Comfy and sreamlined.

Dave.

cheers guys.
nice and simple solutions eh.

however..
i think that being in Jersey postage on those weights might push the price up a bit high for what they are.

'old man dave':

you make your own ?

are we talking old socks stuffed with gravel or lead shot, etc ?

I've been spearfishing a while but not usually in the waiting style.
I was quite 'active' drifting quiety over beds or hole fishing etc..

didn't realise the fins issue till quite recently and its a PITA.

This is a copy from an old post of mine.

"Okay this is how I make my ankle weights. Nothing special but very effective (in my opinion).

It's just strip lead cut and folded to create a "safe edge" and rolled to form a bracelet.

Most important to wear them on top of your socks/bootees and under your suit trousers. They are very secure and hydrodynamic. You don't need any other fastenings. Because lead is so flexible they are easy to open up, put on and tighten.

I start with 2 pieces of approx 1.5mm thick lead, 2 inches wide by 12 inches long.fold the outer half inch edges of the width over onto the centre and create a strip 1 inch wide with round "safe" edges. Roll into a ring shape (bracelet). Ditto the other piece."

Originally there were pic's which explained it more fully but I've deleted them. Can take some new ones if you need. Also if you put ankle weights into search function you'll get some more info.

Dave.

Attachments

• AW.JPG
    AW.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Reactions: myfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT