• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fins for beiginner

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sporasub Dessault full foot fins !

.....just my usual bleat.

(Good toe angle / cheap to buy / good foot pockets / can replace broken fins blades = generally good to start with)

I started with Cressi Gara's. pretty noodly but work great for shallow water.

portinfer said:
Sporasub Dessault full foot fins !

.....just my usual bleat.

(Good toe angle / cheap to buy / good foot pockets / can replace broken fins blades = generally good to start with)

I agree with Portinfer on that.
My first pair of fins were Sporas and I loved them for all the reasons mentioned above!
However I have heard that Omer Millenium are also soft enough for long surface swimming and not very expensive.
I would stick with Sporasub though. You cannot forget your first love!

Hi,

spearmantw, while you're looking at OMER fins, try the Millenium. Cheap and works great for shallow dives and shoreline diving with long surface swims!

//Per

OMER millenis are a good fin as are matrix and C4 but ready to pull out your pocketbook on this one.

one of the things to consider is the width of the foot pockets. If you have narrow feet omer footpockets might be too wide for you, spora's seems to be a little better for narrow feet .

I am looking for fins too now that i am certainly going to be into this for the rest of my life and am over using churchills trying to get to 30 -40 feet. I have a "wider foot than normal but a really narrow heel. Anyone know of a fin that will allow long surfaces swims, dives to about 60 feet, and are resonably cheap?

Thanks and sorry for the topic within a topic thing.

Yes I know of the other threads but I want a straight forward answer instead of seacrhcing for hours.

Hey,Spearmantw
I'd advize 'Nemo' or 'Waterway' blades www.finswimming.ca - they're the same as Matrix, fiberplastic. Many people use 'em.
I thing stiffness #2 is OK
Cheers, Peter

Hi sharpshooter,

If you can do 40 ft with churchhills and still have some bottom time, you have a bright future in this business.

Use the search function to find a huge amount of info on fins. IMHO, sporasub desaults could be your best bet, good all around plastic fin, cheap, very good on the surface, sufficient for all your current needs and upgradable to fiberplastic or carbon when you need it. Cressi garas are also good, better for bare feet, might be cheaper, but are not quite as good on the surface and are not upgradeable.

NOTE, make sure the foot pockets fit your particular feet. For any given fin, some feet fit and some don't.

Good luck

Connor

sporasub H Dessault the original are as good as any,I have used these from their conception way back to today , tried many others did not find any better ,back to originals.
good hunting Old Dave

Hi there,
Thanks a lot
I have tried my friend’s Sporasub H Dessault, Cressi gara 3000 and Cressi gara 2000 hf several days ago.
My ankle was injured several years ago so that I couldn’t handle gara 2000 and 3000. Gara 2000 and 3000 are “still too stiff” for me but Sporasub H Dessault is quite good.
I am thinking of buying one pair of Sporas.

By the way, I would like to buy several pair of “soft” fins for my brothers. We want to try different fins to pick up the best one for us.
So I am wondering how the stiffness of omer millenium, omer bat “short” compare with sporasub H Dessault? stiffer or softer?

Regards,
Spearmantw

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=38963[/URL]

Best primer on freediving fins I have ever read. It's a bit of a read but tons of good info. I have bought two sets of fins from information based on this thread and have been pleased with the results. I also have access to Jon (A big plus) who confirms the info on this thread:) In fact both sets did not require break in, a first for me.

jim

Best fins for beginner IMHO are the new Cressi 3000 LD (Long Distance). They're very new and therefore hard to find, but are much softer than the normal 3000 while maintaining the same great characteristics (Pelizzari design, usable from 0 to 50 meters, nice footpockets, good strong Cressi quality).
Cheers,
Stef

Hi Stef,
Thanks for the input.
As I have tried my friend’s gara 2000 hf and gara 3000, my friend decides to give gara 3000 to me for free because 3000 is too soft for him. How lucky I am.

Though it is still too stiff for me, I will prefer to try 3000 for a while and to see if I could find out any way to make it suitable for my needs.
After all, there is not many freediving fins available in Taiwan and the shipping cost of buying a pair of fins from scubastore or other shops will cost me a lot.

Hence, I am thinking of an either “brilliant” or “extreme stupid” idea. Making “modification” to gara 3000.
My idea is to “shorten the blades” from 61 cm to 56cm. If 56cm is not enough, then 53->50->48-> give up
I know the specs of each fins are the result of long-term research and tests, it might be not a good idea to do modify.
But stiffer fins are suitable for a strong, muscular man with powerful legs, which I am not, a little modification seems to be the only way to use this fins.
Just a thought, have anyone tried this before??
I will appreciate any comments.

Spearmantw

You can cut the fins down but you will be losing a lot of efficiency when you do.
maybe you should try the HF3000 for a while before you cut them down.
Your legs could become a lot stronger, and you may find that they suit you.

I agree, I'd be wary of touching the 3000, you may end up with an unusable pair of fins. The 3000 are stiff because of the first 30 cm starting from the footpockets: the end of the fin is actually thin and smooth, so by cutting it you may end up with the same stiff fin and loose a lot of the propulsion.
3000 are great fins, but I agree they're too strong for a beginner. Try to learn to fin with a soft cheap pair of scuba fins (full footpockets), and then progressively use your 3000.
I must say that I get approximately the same distance in the pool out of my cheap soft scuba Mares than I get from the Cressi 2000 !!! With the soft scuba fins I take it very easy, relax a lot, and do 100 meters in 2'10". With the Cressi it takes only 1'20", but still the same 100 meters and that's it...
Cheers.

First, I agree that I don't think modifying those fins is a good idea. Especially since I think you will grow into them very quickly.

I would try getting in a pool and swimming with them every second day for a couple of weeks. You'll find that if you start small and work your way up that your leg strength and co-ordination will adapt very quickly.

I agree with all of the above, shortening the fins is almost certainly a bad idea. It would totally change how the fin is designed to work and you are likely to end up with a pair of inefficient, unusable boards. Overall, growing into them is the best choice. A few weeks of pool workouts can make a big difference. I

If you enjoy taking risks, here is an idea that I have contemplated for my 2000hfs. Find a custom wood shop that has a board planer. This tool can remove very precise amounts of thickness. Use it to taper the blades. Very experimental and definately risky, but might work, giving a softer blade and more efficient bend like Specialfin blades.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT