• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fins for spear fishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

thornton

May 30, 2008
I am new to spear fishing. Can someone explain why spearing fishing fins are so long compared to scuba fins? Is there a reason why something like scubapro jet fins are not good for spear finshing? I would think that short fins would be desireable around rocks and reefs.

I live in New Mexico, what few dive shops we have are geared toward scuba. I have never seen a pair of spearing fishing type finns. What should I look for. Any suggestions about ordering fins without being able to try them on.

It all depends on the type of diving you are doing and how much you expect to progress. Split fins and other shorter fins are great for hanging in the shallows and diving shallow ledges and holes. If you plan on going deeper (30ft+) I would highly recomend getting yourself a pair of longblades.

Longblades are designed for freediving becuase the power transfer when you kick is alot more efficient than a shorter or split blade. They are designed for maximum power versus minimal exertion. They key with freediving is keeping a low heart rate and staying relaxed. Longblades are more efficiant for swimming on the surface, ascending and decending. Do a search on this forum about longblades. You will find no shortage of information about differnt brands, stiffer blades v.s. softer blades.

A few brands to look up OMER (icefins, plastic, fiberglass) C4 (carbon fiber), Riffe, Picasso, Sporasub, beuchat, Cressi (Gara 3000 or 2000)

I personally started with the Cressi Gara 3000. They were a great intro fin, not too stiff, and the foot pockets were comfortable. Great for diving shallow reefs and depths up to 70ft.

Good luck

Reactions: strangelove
check ebay out for sporasub intinct fins. US$99 not sure what the postage to new mexico would be but it's pretty reasonable I think. I just bought a pair and tested them in the pool today and they were great. if you get the same size fin as you normal shoe size you can then play around with different thickness socks to get a comfy fit. I use 5mm socks with my picasso's and then put another 3mm sock over the 5mm for the sporasubs as I got a size too big. I'm an 11.5us shoe size and the fins I got were 11-12 or 46-47.

It all depends on the type of diving you are doing and how much you expect to progress. Split fins and other shorter fins are great for hanging in the shallows and diving shallow ledges and holes. If you plan on going deeper (30ft+) I would highly recomend getting yourself a pair of longblades.

Longblades are designed for freediving becuase the power transfer when you kick is alot more efficient than a shorter or split blade. They are designed for maximum power versus minimal exertion. They key with freediving is keeping a low heart rate and staying relaxed. Longblades are more efficiant for swimming on the surface, ascending and decending. Do a search on this forum about longblades. You will find no shortage of information about differnt brands, stiffer blades v.s. softer blades.

A few brands to look up OMER (icefins, plastic, fiberglass) C4 (carbon fiber), Riffe, Picasso, Sporasub, beuchat, Cressi (Gara 3000 or 2000)

I personally started with the Cressi Gara 3000. They were a great intro fin, not too stiff, and the foot pockets were comfortable. Great for diving shallow reefs and depths up to 70ft.

Good luck
I agree. I dive my scuba fins when I'm diving in shallow because they are great for surface swimming and will take a beating on the rocks since they're solid rubber. I have a pair of the sporasub fins mentioned as well. For the money, you really can't beat them and they are much better for diving a little deper than scuba fins.
Kale

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT