• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

firefighter freediver with questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Spaceboy1017

Mar 8, 2008
Hello all,
I am a firefighter from Bradenton, Florida who just recently got into freediving/spearfishing. I've been SCUBA diving since 14, but now I'm obsessed with learning a more pure and traditional way to dive and hunt underwater.

I joined this site because of one main question-- besides basic cardio work (running, swimming, etc), how do I train my body into being able to stay underwater longer? How do I increase my lung-capacity so to speak (though I'm not sure it's increased "lung-capacity" that does it). Most reef and wreck diving that is within range of my boat is within 30-40 feet of water. So it's not depth that I need, it's time. Any good training suggestions? Thanks folks!

-Mike D

Welcome to DB Spaceboy, quite a few topics on that subject search and you will findrofl

Reactions: foxfish
Mike,

in the beginners' section, there's a post and thread on How to start Freediving (I've linked to it for You).
Read through that one, then read through it again and then start working Your way trhough it.
Once You're dont with that, You should be pretty way up there with the best of them and You'll have the tools to get what You're still lacking.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Hi Mike, Welcome to DB.

The above advice is right on, but the best way to get better is to spend time underwater, preferably with a more experienced buddy who can teach you stuff. Relaxation is the real key.

I'm in Sarasota and train regularly in the afternoon. We dive Florida springs every month or two. Come on down and join us.

Connor

Connor, You're right. Best thing to do, really. You can read up on the theoretical side of things on here, but diving with more experienced people will do wonders.

Have fun! :D

Diving with experienced divers is KEY. Learning how to properly breath up, relax, slow your heart rate is really important. Also having the right gear e.g. proper weight, long fins, and a comfortable wet suit.

In Hawaii we do a lot of training with "running rock." This involves finding an area of sandy bottom between 15 and 20 feet deep, finding a rock heavy enough to weigh you down. Hold the rock to your chest and run as far as you can. count your steps. and try to best your self each time you go. its adviseable to do this with a friend as you will begin to push yourself harder each time. Its helped me alot.

Not much I can offer as I'm pretty new to freediving myself, but as a West Central Floridian (St. Petersburg) I had to say "hi".

The one thing I am constantly being told to remember is that half of freediving is mental. Being comfortable in the water is definitely part of that, but so is remembering that this is for fun and enjoyment. Less stress, more time underwater. :-D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT