• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First aid kit for spearos and freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SDS

Feb 16, 2018
I am assembling/expanding a first aid kit to take with me during spearfishing/freediving trips. I don’t want it to be too bulky though. I am not a medic. These are the following items I think of. Maybe already a bit too much for convenient travel. Anyone care to share the content of their first aid kit for water-related activities?

Lung barotrauma (squeeze):
  • Pulse oximeter (for diagnostics, follow-up, and decision making – has already proven to be of great value in the past so I’ll keep this one for sure).
  • Oxygen therapy kit (I won’t make the investment yet, too expensive for me as a recreational diver, but I think it should be mentioned here nonetheless)
Cuts and wounds:
  • Saline/water
  • Non-adhesive gauze pads
  • Steri-strips
  • Hemostatic wound dressing (i.e., QuickClot) for more severe wounds
  • Bandage
  • Waterproof bandage (& duct tape)
Jellyfish stings:
  • Vinegar
  • Shaving cream
  • Disposable razor
  • Steroid cream (?)
Hypothermia:
  • Heat blanket
  • Heat packs
General stuff:
  • Medical gloves (treating wounds and jellyfish stings)
  • NSAIDs (i.e., Ibuprofen)
  • Tweezers & scissor
  • Alcohol wipes
  • Pocket mask
  • Cold pack
  • Oral antihistaminic agent (also epipen?)
  • Agents against motion sickness
  • Agents against diarrhea (i.e., Imodium)
  • ORS
  • Antibiotic cream for external ear infection (not urgent, but untreated it may ruin your dives the next days)
  • thermometer

Anything that I should leave it out or add to the current kit?

Reactions: Mr. X
Looks very thorough.

Yes, steri strips (or butterfly equivalents) are a very good idea, esp. for spearos. Might save a long/expensive trip to a medic for stitches. Might be worth learning to stitch yourself up, they use special U-shaped needles.

Dettol antiseptic concentrate is excellent and versatile but antiseptic wipes might be more convenient. Recommended for sea anemone stings.

Yes travel/sea sickness meds. I should really try one. I think one of the popular ones is an anti-histamine.

I believe the military are still strong believers in the tourniquet. Hasn't really caught on with civilian first aid orgs here in the UK though. Training recommended.

Insect repellent? Sun protection? After sun - eg camomile.

Reactions: SDS
Hi I am new to this forum and relatively new spearo/freediver. Having done some CPR/first aid courses the first thing I have to ask is how long are you planning to go out to the water? Are coming home/hotel at night? Or is it possible that you camp in the wild away from the city? Last thing of this message DAN (dive alert network) sells some first aid kits yo can copy those.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT