• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First attempts at underwater photography...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fuzz

Hawaiian transplant...
Sep 9, 2002
After buying a housing for my Oly 5050 & having it overnighted to Hawaii, I ended up leaving it unused in my room until the last weekend of my vacation. :head

I just can't seem to let go of my speargun :eek:

So, taking Shaneshac's thread as a motivator, here are the results of my first attempt at underwater photography.

Attachments

• 1st_try.jpg
    1st_try.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 476
Jeez Fuzz. It looks like you know what the hell you're doin ;). Were you using the macro setting to get those shots? I've just recently got a handle on that feature. Here's a shot of a shirmp in my aquarium.

BTW, overnite it....then wait to use it? :cool: .

Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: OceanSwimmer
Hey Fuzz,

Compared to me your a PRO!!!!!!!!

I need to get some skills and/or a better camera

Well Done

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I was pleasantly surprised that most of my shots came out well. It's a lot easier when you're in clear water & taking pictures of stuff not moving ;)

Ted, yup I was using macro mode. I even tried super macro though I seemed to piss off one of the eels by bumping into it a couple times. The surge was pretty strong, so I actually braced the bottom of the housing against a rock for some of the eel shots. The others I had to wedge my arm into a crack to hold it steady. I really need to get a filter, not so much for the image enhancement, but since I don't know what I'm doing, I'm sure I'll scratch up the lense of the housing pretty bad one of these times. Filters are replaceable ;)

Shane, I really like your pictures. I think you did a great job considering that you're shooting game fish. My subjects weren't going anywhere so I could take my time. I tried a few fish shots, but they didn't come out as well since it was getting dark & the fish didn't want to have anything to do with me. I got only a couple pictures of some convict tangs & this semi-cooperative pufferfish:

Attachments

• 1st_try_d.jpg
    1st_try_d.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 445
I just realized how poorly this puffer is lit.

I think it's due to the sun almost setting & the odd angle of the sun :confused:

Attachments

• 1st_try_e.jpg
    1st_try_e.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Nice Puffer fish :D

Clear water helps. The day I shot those pics was the clearest it has been for months. It has now turned back to its usual green :(

Fuzz Fuzz Fuzz

So many D... nice photos just cant be LUCK.

Thanks for showing what the 5050 can do. Not That others havent!!!!!!! sorry guys.

I am definitely switching to digital now.

Joe

:D

trick for moving object:

First spear it then take the photo:D

Lovely shots Fuzz!
Congratulations. The octopus one is also very nice, well framed. You can almost imagine that the octopus is telling you to back off and leave him alone. My favorite is the white eel though.

Inspired by you guys I'll post a couple of the best from my first tries. Actually my second try. The first was a complete disaster as I wasn't correctly weighted for shallow water, and had to struggle to keep down even on an exhale. I had to use one hand to stabilize myself by holding on to the rocks and the gloves I used were too slippery to hold on the the Oly's casing with only one hand! :head As someone sad, I was diving with Murphy.

The first is a sea plume and the second a cluster of eggs I found under a ledge. both with the macro function, no flash for the plume and flash with the second shot.

Adrian

Attachments

• seafeather_sm.jpg
    seafeather_sm.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 432
Reactions: fuzz
Here are the sea-eggs. Anyone know what species they belong to? They were between 2 and 3 inches long.

Adrian

Attachments

• seaeggs.jpg
    seaeggs.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 395
Adrian, I love that feather duster!
Very peaceful looking.

Did you use flash(strobe?) for the egg shot?

Fuzz,
Yes, I almost missed them when checking out the ledge, as they were pretty far in, maybe a foot and a half, and quite dark.

Adrian

Was it a strobe or internal flash?

Where I was, it was way too dirty to use internal flash(too much potenital backscatter as you can see in the octopus shot)

Internal. There are some other shots of the same clump of eggs that had lots more backscatter. I'll eventually get a strobe.

Adrian

Hey Adrian,

Those are squid eggs. Try to go back and catch them hatching.

That would be a real good way of practicing your Macro skills.

Thanks Shane,
It would also improve my static apnea waiting for them to hatch!
I will check that ledge out again this weekend visibility and weather permitting.

Adrian

I want to catch a baby squid... and keep it as a pet... & name it Hector...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT