• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

first dive ever

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

saskfish

May 14, 2007
hello , i got to go spear fishing for the fist time yesterday in a lake very near to candle lake sask. it was very very cold and the visabilaty was about 5 feet so that sucked , and i had a very hard time getting comfortable in the water so i need some advice . side note i dont have a wet suit and the water was about 50 fereinhieght. thanks and good luck

man 50F without a suit thats really harsh...

I advise you to get at least a 5mm suit, and a 60 or 75cm speargun max as well with a single 16 or 18mm rubber band... Also better to have a suit with a hood on because your scalp also is susceptible to great heat losses....

Another thing (well always worked with me): Stuff yourself with some chocolate bar before any long dive... It always work fine with me and give you some more energy.

Btw how deep are your dives?

Have safe dives !

I'm sorry to contradict getawayFK, but I much rather have the chocolate afterwards, because of stress inducing substances, and the mucus forming milk.
My suggestion would be some, not to much, pasta a few hours before with a bit of spicy vegan sauce to give you a nice steady burn inside. When your not able to have a suit, a swimming cap could be a cheap help. Warming up and doing stretching on the shore also helps to get the blood flowing and muscles prepaired. Have soft fins, because cramps are easy to get in cold water. Have a snorkle, your wet head above the water will loose more heat than submerged. Have at least 1 very capeble buddy. Learn about hyperthermia and go out before you core is cold.
Go for a couple of quality dives instead of many.
Have some heat blankets ready.
Be hydraded.
Listen very very carfully to your body, cold water invoques major effects on your body and messes up your sens for limits.

I did a couple of no suit dives in 16 celcius water,thankfully the surface was 22 C. I managed to go down to about -10m (-34ft). My pb was at the time -50m CW with suit. Going down I tried to relax, but the cold was such strong that musles tensioned and got my heart pounding like a hammer in my chest.
When I turned arround the pounding disappeared, though to me diving this way felt not safe, let allone comfortable. Personally I would advice against it, certainly without a suited and capeble buddy, good line and diver retrieval system, cause your buddies ears can lock up too!
I strongly suggest: Bite the bullet and find yourself a suit.

thank you guys for the replys and advice. my dive were not very deep because my heart rate was so high that i could not hold my breath long at all, i was kind of freeked out to because of the super low vis. and ya i am on the market for a wet suit i am thinking a 5mm omer. does anyone know how to stop your goggles from fogging? thanks again , btw i was in the water alone but there was a guy in the boat . :head

If u are going to use your googles for the first time, then a nice brushing with tooth paste should do the job. For your next dives, try to spit on them a lil bit and rinse them thoroughly. That should do the job well.

Have safe dives !

You sound like a genuine beginner saskfish, how old are you?

Spitting in your mask or some non irritating soap helps a lot.
Though cold water really stimulates fogging.

ya i am a very beginer and i am 17 . but i tryed tooth paste but i no do any scrubing so maby if i scrub it very well it will work .

saskfish there are a number of spearfisherman in Sask. and there are several spearfisherman in Alberta. Send me your email and/or msn and we can talk. We can also talk on the phone as it would be faster to give you the information.
We know the conditions you dive so we can suggest good quality gear for the conditions without breaking the bank.

No suit in 50[SIZE=-1]° water? Damn thats some Shaolin Monk type stuff.[/SIZE]

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…