• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First Fish - Blackfish in Far Rockaway

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

smellsfishy

Mmm... Freediving
Jan 12, 2004
After having surgery on my shoulder 7 weeks ago, I finally rehabbed my shoulder to a point where I felt I could coax it into a wetsuit, so I went spearfishing today. I drove to Far Rockaway Queens which is about 35-40 minutes from my house. There's a small section of beach in the east rockaway inlet with a collection of rocks that many local divers dive. Here it is:

Google Maps

I got there just before 1 PM which was low tide, and my deepest dive was about 26 feet deep. Water temp was a surprisingly nice at 59 degrees. I dove a few times on the larger rock outcropping but didn't see any fish other than a small school of tiny 1 - 2 inch long fish. I made my way over to the second rock outcropping and on my 4th dive just as I was beginning to expect that the day would be a bust, a large blackfish suddenly swam across my path, in the second it took me to size him up and confirm he was larger than the 14" minimum he saw me and jerked, but I was quicker and shot him just behind his lower jaw. :D He was around 16-17 inches (I didn’t get an exact measurement). I spent another 45 minutes there diving and did get one other shot off on another large blackfish but I missed as my spear scraped a rock and was deflected slightly. There were some other smaller blacks that I saw that seemed to be around 12"-14" but I didn't want to chance it and shoot an undersized fish. All in all it was a good day.

Some pics:

http://photos-468.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v73/241/96/660580260/n660580260_427468_3964.jpg

http://photos-471.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v73/241/96/660580260/n660580260_427471_4709.jpg

Reactions: Huw
Not bad at all. It's a white fish with a mild flavor. I've only had it once before and this one's still in the freezer.

They taste really good. They can get up to 20+ lbs. I shot one 14 lbs in chesapeake bay which is big for the bay.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, and especially for the map. It's great to know about freediving sights accessible by public transit from NYC. Note to others in the area: if you zoom in enough, google maps (or google earth for that matter -- see the "KML" link on the map page) will show you the subway stops in the area. The A train stops quite close to this location.

The vis there is hit or miss. I've been there when it's 1 or 2 feet but I've also been there when it's about 6 feet.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT