• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First fish today

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bigal0043

Jun 11, 2006
It was a slow ass sheapshead... this thing was massive and was a good feeling after taking it down... I hear they are bad meat so we sank it near our favorite fishing spot... I wont be shooting anymore of those i just wanted on my belt..

Thats my story and im sticking to it

Congratulations :)

I'm not sure what a sheepshead is, but the first fish I took out with a spear gun was a buff bream (like a silver drummer), which I killed and stuffed in a cave. They taste terrible, but it was decent size and I needed to shoot something. I promised myself after that to never shoot a fish I wouldn't eat.

Of course, then I found out how important burley is for hunting pelagics here in Western Australia, so I've been happily shooting buff bream ever since.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheepshead_%28fish%29[/ame]
Somtimes confused West coasters call the "California sheephead" as sheepshead as well.
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_sheephead[/ame]
This are pretty tasty.

Last edited:
bigal0043 said:
It was a slow ass sheapshead... this thing was massive and was a good feeling after taking it down... I hear they are bad meat so we sank it near our favorite fishing spot... I wont be shooting anymore of those i just wanted on my belt..

Thats my story and im sticking to it

So, you new they tasted bad, shot a big one, :head and threw it away? :vangry :rcard Thats pretty crappy. Dont shoot it unless your going to eat it. And dont brag about wastefull practices on the internet:naughty If your going to eat a sheephead, fine, shoot it. But keep in mind these guys are a fairly non migratory fish, and real slow to grow. If you just want to kill things, stick to video games.

Last edited:
Before everyone jumps on bigals back, I think we should remember our first fish tales:

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=39080"]Whats the first fish you shot?[/ame]

A lot of people have shot a fish to "get it out of their system" or because they didn't know any better. Bigal even states that he won't be doing it again, so give him a break. Everyone has to start somewhere.

thank you KMO, yes that was like my 5th time out without getting a thing... My friend was showed me one of those and i nailed it... I wanted to bring it home but he was like they taste awful so we were like lets chum it then to attract some more fish to our area

Great to hear that you are enjoying the sport, but next time stick to the fish that you will eat. Otherwise take a camera instead of a gun.

Huw.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT