• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First Ice Dive

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fondueset

Carp Whisperer
Jul 27, 2004
Saturday I went down to the local Scuba Shop to buy some of the 1lb weights they had a pile of. I'm pretty darned happy about these weights - they do not flare out during monofin acceleration like my two pound weights and they have about half the profile.
I got into a conversation with Jack - the former owner of the shop; who still works there. He invited me to join a bunch of scubies for an ice dive on a wreck called the Keuka - which is up in Lake Charlevoix - about 50 miles north of where I live. I've never done a serious through-the-hole ice dive before.

While we were talking - he told me the story of the Keuka - which is a wooden freighter from the late 1800s and is about 180 feet long.

Here's my transliteration:

Back during prohibition the only place you could drink was out on the
navigable waterways of Lake Michigan - which included Lake Charlevoix.

What with it being navigable and all.

So, some rich people bought this barge - which was actually more of an
old, late 1800s style freighter - and turned it into a party boat. With
lights, music, a still and maple decking for dancin' up a storm on.

Now the thing with these old wooden boats is they are designed to be water
tight when the wood is wet and swells up. The problem with this party
barge application is that it floated pretty high in the water most of the
time - so the wood was pretty dry - and when you piled a bunch of drunken
revelers on there it would sink down some and, because the boards were
dry, it would start leakin' like crazy.

Naturally they hired a guy to pump out the bilge. The barge, being
a sort of a boat, had a captain and he hired the guy and paid him
with whiskey.

Well the local 'angry-womens-what-hates-fun-and- drinking
association' was none-to-happy about all this revelry and debauchment
going on just off shore of their virginal attitudes - so they ragged on
the local constabulary until he agreed to bust the perpetually-drunk
bilgemeister when he staggered ashore after a vigorous night of whisky and
bilge pumping.

With the bilger in the brig it fell to the captain - who refused.

So, by and by, it sunk.

(water was 1.2c - according to my TOTALLY FREAKIN AWESOME LIQUIVISION XEN)

We walked about 800 meters out on the ice - it was a beautiful day. Air was about -5C, slight wind, bright sun. I never even got close to getting cold.
The scubies each have a tender - who manages their teather on the surface - and they stay down about 20 minutes. So they applied the same protocol to me - which gave me about 4 dives. (Normally this time of year I'd do about 30 and be in for 90-120 minutes.)

All too brief though it was, I was grateful for the opportunity and my thanks to Jack and the other divers and to Scuba North - which hosted the dive.

I was pretty sure I'd be comfortable under the ice, but you never know - so my first dive was straight down and up. Next one I wandered around a little and on the third I swam quite a ways out under the ice. I've wondered about the peculiar comfort I feel holding my breath under water. It seems to increase with depth and the ice above me had the same effect. I kept the dives short, but I did swim out to the end of my teather - about 100 feet from the hole. It was awesome under there and the Keuka is a very interesting wreck - lots of hatches to swim through and a mostly solid deck which is about 20 or so feet up off the 45 foot bottom depth.

With so few dives I only got two decent pictures - and none of the wreck.

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

Last edited:
What was that traslucent triangle up above (2nd pic) with rays of light promanating downwards?
Was that, by any chance, God?

Yes it was. God often shows up when I'm diving - trying to figure out how to be nearly as cool as me.

Reactions: spaghetti
Yes it was. God often shows up when I'm diving - trying to figure out how to be nearly as cool as me.

Typical. But if he annoys you or bothers you in any way, call on me and let me do the talking (He's Italian. Just like anything that matters).

Last edited:
For sure. I'm pretty sure just saying I know you would be enough.

great stuff Fondi, that second shot is indeed a miracle.

Madness!! The only ice near my swimming is the post-effort drinks!!

Awesome write up though, that looks amazing!!

That second shot is beautiful...

What was that traslucent triangle up above (2nd pic) with rays of light promanating downwards?
Was that, by any chance, God?

spaghetti, my friend .. of course it is God. If you manage to see that (as you already did I guess) .. and God is too gentle to bother at all .. as I can see here at least; everyone is so happy with God .. :)

Very nice pics Fondueset .. I hope I can dive under ice soon !

Reactions: Don Paul
That second shot is amazing!
How thick was the ice and what was the visibility? It appears to be very far

We will tempt you to visit (& dive) in colder months here yet, Connor....

The water is still in the 40s F now, as the Summer Solstice approaches.

It is indeed warmer than it was this time last year.

However, in Grand Traverse Bay (and the Great Lakes), by late summer last year the water had reached historically very warm levels-- 70s; 80s F....

- Alicia

Last edited:
Alicia, much as I would love to see and dive with you folks again(the first time was a real pleasure), I don't think they make wetsuits thick enough for me and your "colder months." Of course, 40s sounded ridiculous until I tried it. That was fine, so, maybe.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT