• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question First open-cell suit

berta_c

May 13, 2024
So grateful for the beginner's forum! I just got my very first open-cell suit, in the mail - and I'm embarassed to say I haven't even given it a trial dip yet; turns out I'm feeling self-conscious about struggling with it in public the 1st time. This is so dumb, but... I'm wondering, if I try it on at home first, will it be harder to get into at the beach if it's already wet? (I'll be using lube of course - bought some "Shark Snot" (made from kelp...) Thanks friends...

So grateful for the beginner's forum! I just got my very first open-cell suit, in the mail - and I'm embarassed to say I haven't even given it a trial dip yet; turns out I'm feeling self-conscious about struggling with it in public the 1st time. This is so dumb, but... I'm wondering, if I try it on at home first, will it be harder to get into at the beach if it's already wet? (I'll be using lube of course - bought some "Shark Snot" (made from kelp...) Thanks friends...
Nah, I don't think so. As long as you're using some type of suit lube, putting the suit on at home vs the beach will be the same. They go on very fast for me, since it just slides on.

Reactions: berta_c
One suggestion using the shark snot, be very generous for the first couple times you put the suit on until you dial in how much you need. The shark snot solution will tend to dry out a bit faster than any of the conditioner or glycol based lubes so don't let it sit out for too long before putting it on. Other than that, the stuff works well. Be especially generous in the hood if you have a lot of hair as the stuff does not lather up and is thinner than most lubes. Good luck with your new suit! Where in Washington are you, the east side perhaps?!

Nah, I don't think so. As long as you're using some type of suit lube, putting the suit on at home vs the beach will be the same. They go on very fast for me, since it just slides on.
Very reassuring, thank you!

One suggestion using the shark snot, be very generous for the first couple times you put the suit on until you dial in how much you need. The shark snot solution will tend to dry out a bit faster than any of the conditioner or glycol based lubes so don't let it sit out for too long before putting it on. Other than that, the stuff works well. Be especially generous in the hood if you have a lot of hair as the stuff does not lather up and is thinner than most lubes. Good luck with your new suit! Where in Washington are you, the east side perhaps?!
Thanks, 7B, that's great advice about the Shark Snot - (I have pretty short hair, but was thinking I'd put a cap on just to make it easier anyway...)

I'm right smack in the heart of Seattle, so am thinking of practising (since no buddy (yet), just finning, duck-dives, etc I promise ;) - maybe off Carkeek for the Sound, and Colman Beach for Lake WA - they're an easy drive, but on weekdays at least don't seem too crowded w/either people or boat traffic - in the 10m depth zone anyway.

(If you're familiar with this area, though, I'd love any suggestions you might have for me ... right now I'm just making it up as I go along...

Darn, if you are ever on the east side of the state and want to check out some places to dive let me know. As for the Seattle area one of my favorite spots is Lake Crescent over on the peninsula by Port Angeles, gorgeous clean and clear lake but can be rather cold. A 3 mill suit will still do dandy in late summer - early fall.

Reactions: musubi and berta_c
Darn, if you are ever on the east side of the state and want to check out some places to dive let me know. As for the Seattle area one of my favorite spots is Lake Crescent over on the peninsula by Port Angeles, gorgeous clean and clear lake but can be rather cold. A 3 mill suit will still do dandy in late summer - early fall.
Hey, thanks! East as in just-over-the-pass, or east as in easteast? (my teacher *just recommended Lake Crescent to me - which looks/sounds gorgeous, but it's a 3-hr drive, so a Special Occasion kinda thing.
If you have a sec to recommend some good spots on The Other Side, yes please, I'll put 'em in w/Lake Crescent in my wishlist

Hey, thanks! East as in just-over-the-pass, or east as in easteast? (my teacher *just recommended Lake Crescent to me - which looks/sounds gorgeous, but it's a 3-hr drive, so a Special Occasion kinda thing.
If you have a sec to recommend some good spots on The Other Side, yes please, I'll put 'em in w/Lake Crescent in my wishlist
(I feel a roadtrip to MT coming up before the passes close...

I'm in Idaho above Spokane, but there are a lot of lakes in the Spokane / Coeur d Alene area. If you are into high altitude diving there are some spectacular alpine lakes in Montana too. Lake Chelan which is closer to you is a nice place to go as well.

I'm in Idaho above Spokane, but there are a lot of lakes in the Spokane / Coeur d Alene area. If you are into high altitude diving there are some spectacular alpine lakes in Montana too. Lake Chelan which is closer to you is a nice place to go as well.
Thanks, sounds beautiful...!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT