• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First post - diy pole spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mattdenney07

Jun 23, 2014
Hey all, first off thanks for all the ideas on this forum. I'm truly jealous that most of you live near the ocean and get to dive reefs and what not.

Forewarning, this is gonna be a pretty long post. I put a lot of effort into it and I plan on getting fairly detailed.

I'm no pro diver or even spearo (yet), but I do know my way around traditional line and rod fishing, and I do like to dive often. I'm in the USAF stationed in Vegas and we have Lake Mead and Willow Beach so we have some stupid clear freshwater around here.

Anyways, decided to make my very first pole spear for carp and striper. Started out with a trip to Home Depot. Picked up a 6 ft lawn stake that has a. 3/8" steel core and covered in a rigid plastic material ($2), picked up some JB weld waterweld ($5) and supposedly waterproof, a galvanized steel threaded sleeve that just fit over the pole ($3), and a galvanized steel cap that threaded on to the sleeve ($2). The only parts missing were 3/8" surgical tubing, some thin paracord, and some 3/16" steel rod, all of which I had laying around.

For the tubing end, I drilled a 3/8" hole in the steel cap and made a stopper out of plastic tube from an old mechanical pencil to tie off the paracord in, then inserted the stopper in the steel sleeve and screwed the cap over the tube with the paracord sticking out. Cut up a #2 pencil into 1/2" lengths and inserted them into the tubing to give it rigidity then tied the paracord to it. Seems super solid.

For the business end, I sharpened three lengths of the aforementioned 3/16" steel rod to a modest tip, then duct taped the middle, applied the jb weld to the bottom of the rods and the area of the rods where they leave the main pole, then duct taped along the entire length of the rods that were in contact with the main pole. End result is pretty solid in my mind. I've punched completely through 4 layers of 175 lb double wall cardboard with it with no damage to the pole or tip, and get some pretty solid spread on the tip as well. Please let me know what you think and if I can make any improvements to it that are obvious. Trying it out for the first time tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that if the fish is bigger than 5 lbs, that you'll likely only injure it with that 3-prong tip and possibly weak band.

I'd consider making a sharp single tip and flopper.

Reactions: Jonny250
So how did the dive go? Did the tip hold up? Was there enough power with just the 1 band?

You really need barbs on your prongs or the fish will kick of the spear if it is not killed outright. I make my own barbed prongs by heating til red hot with a propane torch then striking the prong with a sharp wood chisel at a 30degree angle about 25mm or 1 inch from the point. I clamp the prong onto a piece of I beam I have in my garage to stop it flying around the garage. Good luck with your pole spear.

Awesome build. I have a questions regarding the tubing.
I would like your opinion on the resistance on the tune when in firing position as well as insight on the success/failure you had firing the spear and wether or not you would recommend shortening or lengthening the surgical tube used for the 6 ft pole.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…