• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First samba - not as nice as the first dance!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
naiad said:
You are very lucky to have nice pools to train in. Often the water is not clean in some London pools. :yack

rofl rofl rofl
I'm going for a PB. Anyone need to brush up their CPR skills?

I don't expect lifeguards to deal with the consequences of my personal bests - if I push the limits, it is only with another freediver. Sometimes during a public pool session a problem has arisen which is nothing to do with pushing the limits, such as someone standing on me and trapping me underwater. :rcard This is when I expect them to help.
I swim in a pool sometimes & it seems quite dirty to me - lots of plasters (US: bandages), hair ties, etc.. Very busy too -- but it has lap lanes. Getting stood on sounds grim.

The changing rooms in the public pools I have visited could all do with an hourly hose down too -- with the weather in this country, you tend trail mud in. I had to laugh, they recently had a questionaire on cleanliness at the pool & that week the pool & changing rooms were very clean :) ('even saw staff hosing down the changing rooms while I was there...although not very effectively). A week later though, it was back to normal and has stayed that way:head. Private pools have usually been clean in my experience but rarely have a proper lifeguard (one club used to keep the indoor freezing cold -- so only a couple of us ever used it -- consequently it was very clean:().

The old "I'm going for a PB. Anyone need to brush up their CPR skills?" pick up line eh!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
I reply to this post with mixed emotions; I'm glad you are ok, but I'm angry that you were selfish enough/stupid enough to be in danger in the first place.
There is so much written on this topic here at DBlue and elsewhere stating the first rule: 'don't train alone wet', that it seems to me you are not that considerate of yourself, those who love you, or at the least the rest of us, who must deal with the stigma and taboo that gets attached to freediving when someone dies in a pool. Many pools no longer allow freedivers because of this sort of thing.
Every freediver knows not to rely on a lifeguard, or they should know. Lifeguards are not trained in freediving rescue or monitoring.
Anyone else out there who thinks it's ok to die in pools, understand first that for those who are left behind, including the lifeguards who have to deal with your dead body, it is an extremely traumatic thing to have to deal with. If you don't care about your own death that's fine, but open your heart and consider the consequences for others.
If anyone is unsure about training protocols in different scenarios, PM me or another Mentor or at least use the SEARCH engine here to get informed before we read about you in the paper.
Dive safely people,
Erik Y.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT