• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

first speargun build

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fearless

Jun 19, 2012
hey evry one im new to the form i joind because im going to start building my first gun im looking at making a 110 cm euro gun with 2 bands i im wanting to build it of oak much like the one in this video my homemade wooden speargun. spearfishing - YouTube thanks i hav a few questions

1: will oak hold up well if i epoxy it enough ?

2: how will the neptonics euro triger mech do ?

3: wher can i get a but pad for my gun ?

4: what handle should i get ?

5: how do i make the holes for where my bands go ?

6: what size shaft should i get ?

thanks every one
icon7.gif

We like gun builds around here.
Yes you can use oak but it is pretty heavy however oak will glue up well & is very strong.
neptonics are fantastic trigger units but get one with the line release built in.
You dont need a but pad - some guys use a piece of black flip flop shoe.
Make the handle from oak
You can drill the holes & just sand them clean.
Get a 7mm shark fin spear with about 110mm overhang.

Don't get hung up on buying "bling" for your gun. All parts can be made at home with exception of the trigger mech, unless you're an experienced builder/designer. Neptonics make good soild and reliable mechs with auto reset line release if you wish. Check out other builds on the forum for ideas and post photos when you can.

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi all,
I am putting together my own gun (euro), no wood. But I DO have some questions.....

Can I still use the spear of a 1.4m gun if the new gun has a 1.2 / 1.3m barrel ?
The barrel I am using is cut to length from ali tubing - what do I use to plug the ends ?

And shooting line . . . . . must it be mono ? Or can the nylon from a gun reel also be used ?

You should be looking at matching the spear length to the gun length with a certain overhang to obtain good balance & accuracy, check out any big manufacturer & copy their formula.
You can completely fill the tube with polystyrene buy pushing the barrel through a block of poly over & over again until it is full or if you buy a commercial muzzle it will have a built in seal.

Last edited:
Thanks Foxfish ! I will have to get a serious collection of poly together.
the next gun will have a wooden barrel, with euro grip / trigger. And I'm hoping to build a complete wooden gun one day

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT