• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First successful Gyotaku

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

blaiz

Apr 8, 2008
Aloha all

Just wanted to share a little island culture seeing as most of you here on the deeperblue seem to be from the other side of the globe.

This may be more appropriate for the beach bar but I didnt want to offend any non-spearos.:blackeye

This is my first successful (of many attempts) Gyotaku. Gyotaku [gyo meaning “fish” and taku meaning “rubbing” or “impression”] was discovered over a century ago by fishers in Japan. Though this is originally japanese culture it has been incorporated in Hawaii culture as well.

This is a Moana'ukali, a type of goatfish, the biggest I have come accross. From nose to fork it measured in at 17 inches. Not a huge fish but this little bugger almost got the better of me. I had a little visit from the "dark side" so to speak after horsing him up from 100ft.

I figured I would give him a proper memorial, he will hang on my wall till I die (hopefully 60+years from now:))

Attachments

• Gayutaku Moana'ukali 4 web.jpg
    Gayutaku Moana'ukali 4 web.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Moanu Kale.jpg
    Moanu Kale.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 154
Nice job! Thanks for sharing and managing 100ft is quite a task on its own :martial

did you black out? if so, glad you are OK, could you expand on the circumstances please? The data helps understand and prevent.

Thanks in advance

did you black out? if so, glad you are OK, could you expand on the circumstances please? The data helps understand and prevent.

Thanks in advance

Yes... to be quite honest it came as quite a surprise. I had felt very good all day. My bottom times were great. I was hitting the sand at ~98ft with no problem and plenty of time to spare.

I guess you could attribute it to being a little tired. It happened about 2 hours into the dive and I had already had some pretty good fights with a couple of bigger fish (8-10lb ukus). I had taken a dive to the deck of the ship ~88ft and was trying to get a big uku to come in. After finding he was not interested I noticed the Moanu swimming on the sand below me. I took the shot (as you can see not a great one) and fearing it would tangle in the stanchions or on the railings of the ship I horsed him up to the surface. About 15ft before breaking the surface I knew I wasnt feeling too good. I signaled my partner and as I surfaced I started the samba and according to him I went out for a few seconds. I didnt let go of my gun so Im not sure If I went completely out, maybe just a severe samba.

It might also be attributed to a poor "breath-up." I was a little excited because there were some big fish around and rather than spending the time on my breath up, I kinda rushed my drop.

I can stress that on this particular dive we play close attention to safety. Always "1 up 1 down" and as we surface our partner is always right there to watch you for a moment at the surface. I usually count out 6 to 8 breaths before signaling that Im o.k.

Last edited:
Blaiz,

Easy Brother, We dont need to go and loose anybody now!! Take time to breath up properly!! The oceans have many fish and you have alot of time!!

Good luck,

Joel

Believe me you! This was a definate wake up call! Ive always been a reletively safe diver but now that I think a little harder about it, I could do a lot to be safer. I really want to take the class in kona but due to the lack of time and money its not realistic now. Fortunately My dive buddy has taken it so Ive been learning alot through him and a bit of research.

good to hear your fine, buddy! Your here writing the story is by no means luck- you took your chances on a trophy goaty, you pegged him and you planned your own survival with you bud...all those reading this post should clearly see how the buddy system and pre-planning works TO SAVE LIVES...that goats a pig congrats!

Cheers mon! tell me about
Gyotaku [gyo meaning “fish” and taku meaning “rubbing” or “impression”] was discovered over a century ago by fishers in Japan. Though this is originally japanese culture it has been incorporated in Hawaii culture as well.

A great thread, both in terms of the rubbing, which I love!!! :inlove And also the dangers which can creep up so quickly and unexpectadley.

Its a pretty cool way to get a trophy of your fish. Its a print taken by applying an acrylic or other non-toxic, water based ink, on your fish. You then take fabric or rice paper and make a print. The coloring is done after the fact. Its great because your fish doesn't go to waste. When your finished making the print just rinse the ink off and proceed to the kitchen.
Try this link. This is one of the masters here in Hawaii

Gyotaku by Naoki

Definately not as easy as it sounds. There are a lot of tricks and techniques with getting a good one. My goat print is my best so far but I still think its quite novice. If your ever interested in trying your own I would be happy to share my experience

Aloha

I think I really need to set out a dive plan now that all my gear is with in a few days of arriving, one of my dive buddy's is a bit of a cowboy, and if I can help it I try to have another guy with us so we've got 2 on the surface. I might have to start beating it into his head that it's better to be safe and catch a few fish than to be dead and catch none!

Blaize thanks for the wake up call, I guess it's true that you have to be extra careful!!!

thanks for sharing the story, glad you made it ok, 100' is very deep spearing, I am glad you dive partner was there for you

Well... I figured Id keep you guys posted on my Gyotaku progress. Yesterday I dove a spot on maui for the first time. This place was incredible. The depth was between 65 and 90 ft but we stumbled upon these huge pinnacles that rose up to within 10 feet of the surface. There were about 7 or 8 of them in about the area of 2 football fields. The action was minimal but it was a fun dive. This spot definitely has great potential. I half way expected to see an ono cruise by but no luck.

Anyway, on the way in I was able to tag this nice little omilu (blue-finned trevally). Again, not a huge fish and I dont have a pic for size comparison but his fork length was about 18 inches (3 - 4lbs). The shot entered his gills leaving no hole so I decided to print him anyway.

I saw two of these today while I was swimming with my girlfriend and these guys were 20+lbs. Murphy's Law, the moment you dont have your gun is the moment the big ones swim right up to you:blackeye

Attachments

• Omilu 4 web.jpg
    Omilu 4 web.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: kmo
I think I really need to set out a dive plan now that all my gear is with in a few days of arriving, one of my dive buddy's is a bit of a cowboy, and if I can help it I try to have another guy with us so we've got 2 on the surface. I might have to start beating it into his head that it's better to be safe and catch a few fish than to be dead and catch none!

Blaize thanks for the wake up call, I guess it's true that you have to be extra careful!!!

In the words of a simple man "no fish is worth your life!"

I think its important to know your limits and if you decide to push them have a good plan. The more I think about my situation the more it bothers me. I know I was pushing it because my buddy was right there but if he hadnt, or hadnt been paying attention I might not have a story to tell.

Also, in my experience, at least with spearing (i know 3 is a good number for performance feediving), three people can be a little much. Id actually opt for 4 (two sets of partners). Unless all three of you are in the same mind-set its real easy for one guy to separate from the group. I was doing some deep spearing with two other guys and it was really hard. I never knew who to keep an eye on. At one point both guys were taking drops to 100ft at the same time. The anxiety kinda ruined the dive for me. Atleast with a dedicated partner you can be confident that someone will be there.

blaiz, as i understand it, goatfish are like the denton in the med: one of those fish that is your mark as an outstanding spearo. congrats on the catch

blaiz, as i understand it, goatfish are like the denton in the med: one of those fish that is your mark as an outstanding spearo. congrats on the catch

I appreciate the kind words:) though outstanding may be giving me too much credit:blackeye

Yes thank you for the story.
And of course congratulations on the beautiful gyotaku. I have been thinking of trying out the technique ever since I bought a small garfish pirnt off Naoki a couple of years ago while at visiting for a conference. (It really was fascinating to see his workshop,- and to think what he can do with a squid:martial) Nice to see that one can also achieve such beautifull results one self. Keep up the good work and please post us any new Gyotaku you make...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT