• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First successful Gyotaku

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Blaiz,

Are you adding the colour after you take a print with black? It looks great! I'm inspired to have a go myself.

Cheers,
Cam

Yeah, The first print is done just with black ink (I use acrylic water based paint and water it down a bit)

Then I stretch the fabric on a canvas and paint in the color after. You want to use really watered down color so it doesnt blot. If you want it darker just go over it again.

I have also found that water color pencils work pretty well for detailing. Just dip the tip in some water and you can color that way as well.

Most traditional gyotaku is done on rice paper but I havnt found a suitable paper yet.

Its also popular to do the print with white or light grey/blue ink on black fabric. Havnt tried one yet myself.

Last tip is use tooth pics to help hold the fins out.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Mr. X
I forgot to mention... Paint the ink on the fish and then blot some off with a wet papertowel or terry cloth. This will get rid of brush strokes.

Finally do a few prints at a time to get your best one. You will quickly learn whether your using too much or not enough ink.

Cheers Blaiz. The next fish I get will be painted and pressed to a piece of cloth. Should be fun! I think my fiance will love it.

Blaiz, the cloth you press it onto,-

does it lie totally flat on a table and you then "roll" the fish a bit to get it all in?
(and if so do you roll front to tail (or vice versa) or do you roll along longitudinal axis?)

OR

Do you crate a "fish-shaped" mould (like by folding up a towl underneath) you drape the cloth over and press the whole fish at once?

OR

Do you "just squeeze" the fish flat onto the flat cloth ?

I must say that the blue-finned trevally Gyotaku is really beautifully made, Congratulations!!

Cheers Martin-who-is-getting-well-and-truly-inspired-to-try-his-own-gyotaku-soon

Reactions: blaiz

Im sure there are a few right ways to do it but the traditional way (as far as I know) is to place the fish on news paper or cardboard, paint the fish and then lay the fabric on top of the fish. You then carefully and evenly push the fabric out with you hands. So dont start with a stretched canvas. Use loose fabric and make sure to iron out any folds or creases as they will absorb more ink than the flat area and you will see the lines.

I usually start at the head and work my way to the tail. Then I will Do the fins last, I usually prop the fins out with tooth pics and use my fingers to get a good impression.

What ever you do dont pull the fabric off and place back on the fish. if you find an area where the paint is light carefully peel the cloth back add a little paint and roll it back exactly where it was.

It will take a few to get it right. Im still learning so let me know if you find something that works well!

Thanks for the link Tone!

Heres a nother one for you folks. This fish is a Hawaiian Bigey or 'Aweoweo (pronounced 'aveo veo) These guys are probably my favorit reef fish to eat. Just fry the little buggers up whole (gutted first but with scales, skin and all) with some garlic and ginger. The skin eats like patatoe chips I shot 3 of them that day and was going to do a print with 2 or 3 on one canvas.... but I got lazy and really hungry so I opted for just the bigger one.

Hope you enjoy!:friday

Attachments

• 'aweoweo web.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 144
Excellent. I hadn't read the thread before as I figured Gyotaku was likely to be a fish I'd never encounter. Bass T-shirt?!Flattie camo fin print?

I've got a scan somewhere of some old old instructions for making a fish weather vane (fancy wind indicator designed to be mounted on the roof). The gist of it is to catch a fish, then trace its outline onto a wooden form. At some point the whole thing gets covered in thin copper sheeting. Details like gill slots are copied from the real fish & stick out fins are added some how. The idea is to end up with a 3-D decorated, fish-shaped wind indicator that pivots over a traditional NESW direction cross. Sounds hokey but the result pictured (of a salmon) is quite impressive.

e.g.
[Darn "Spearo Board"-forum - no image link support again]

Fish Weathervanes : Theweathervanefactory.com

London's weather vanes

Last edited:
how do you make the impression/final image (not sure if actually an impression?)

http://forums.deeperblue.net/spearo-board/78479-how-gyotaku.html

Here, check out this thread. I posted a how-2 gyotaku. This goes over the steps. Keep in mind I am pretty new to this so these techniques arent set in stone or anything but they work well for me. The final print w/ the color is the original print, the color is painted in afterwards (on the print) No color is on the fish itself just the black (for white fabric) or the white (for black fabric)

If you find that scan, let me know. Id love to try that out!

Hey mr x. You like those weather vanes? check out this marlin.:inlove This is made by a local artist here on Maui. I think the price tag is something like $50,000 Thie fins and scales are made w/ real money!

Attachments

• The Money Marlin.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 134
Blaiz!!!!! You're an animal and you PUMP ME UP!! Where were you at when you shot this guy? I can see the beautiful clear Hawaiian waters and it makes me miss the land of aloha o so much. My wife keeps hinting she wants to move back.....we'll see what kind of job I can turn up. The rubbing is spectacular. Art man, true Art passion captured to share with others....mad props. I got a pinnacle picked out for tommorow to dive, max depth right at 100'-if you can do it i'm sure as hell gonna try; with my bros on the surface of course. Hit me up in the personals I got some new pics posted and I want to chat about guns.
You're the Man,
DeepSeaSki

Hey mr x. You like those weather vanes? check out this marlin.:inlove This is made by a local artist here on Maui. I think the price tag is something like $50,000 Thie fins and scales are made w/ real money!
I want one! Actually, I settle for a sailfish made out of copper. I'll see if I can PM you the scans, I think there are steps missing but it will give you an idea.

I want one! Actually, I settle for a sailfish made out of copper. I'll see if I can PM you the scans, I think there are steps missing but it will give you an idea.
Thanks Mr. X

Stop it... your making me blush! We were at a shipwreck off of lahaina. Not a secret spot by any means but I dont want to dislclose on the net!:blackeye Next time you get a chance to come over, take the hop over to Maui and Ill get you out there!

Here is another print for those of you still interested. This is another moana ukali. I did not shoot this one, a buddy of mine did and left it in my cooler. He begged me to make a print for him so I took eating the fish as payment:blackeye

This one is actually an inch and a half bigger than my first one printed. These colors are close to what they would look like under water. Which is funny because as you can see they are blue, after you shoot them they turn purple and pink. beautiful fish, even better eating. steamed it in miso, sugar, green onions, rice vinegar, and ginger.

Hope you enjoy, aloha.

Attachments

• Moana Ukali.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 124
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…