• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

First time hunting WSB from a boat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

So.Cal. Fisher

Apr 16, 2005
Well I went out to the LaJolla kelp beds today. My first day spear fishing from a boat. We heard the WSB are back in the beds and thought we would try our luck. I wasn't in the water longer than 15 minutes when I turned my head towards an empty blue opening in the kelp when, right there, staring at me no more than 10ft way, was a huge WSB. It was easily the biggest WSB I have ever seen. So I line it up and squeese the trigger. Perfect shot. Right behind the gill plate. I thought to myself "here we go", and braced for a wild ride. But what I saw was the fish swimming away at a leasurly pace and then gone. I had missed. :waterwork I was pissed. None of my other two buddys saw a single fish, and I go and blow the only shot of the day. Boy what I would give to have that opportunity back. Actually the truth if it is I was undergunned. I was using the same gun I use in the reefs. It's a JBL Sawed-off Magnum. Even with three bands and a sharp speartip, it just bounced off my first trophy fish. Hard lesson learned. I won't make that mistake again.

That's a shame to be so undergunned when you see a nice one. At least you don't seem to have penetrated and then lost the fish. I know the big multi-band guns are very expensive, but something like an Aimrite Rail gun for about $250 would at least be adequate.

If you would like to read a story from a guy who had better luck with his first white sea bass, check

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=17958&page=2&pp=15

It was a hell of a lot of fun for me to be there.

Hi So Cal Fisher,

Were you guys diving from an 18' bayliner? Did one of your buddies see a 4' YT from the boat. I talked to two guys yesterday at their place of employment who went out with a third guy and said they saw WSB and one guys saw a beeeeeeg YT chasing bait around the boat at times almost bumping into the boat.

Nate

Yep, that was us. One guys name was Bill and the other was Plamen. It figures that the guys with the right equipment and the most experience don't even see a fish, but the rookie (me) has the shot and drops the ball :vangry

Plamen Kolev? He used to go out with me until he got his own boat. Say hi for me.

Hiya

It's a JBL Sawed-off Magnum. Even with three bands and a sharp speartip, it just bounced off my first trophy fish

Interested in what thickness bands and what thickness spear you're using. With 3 bands you aught to have LOADS of power!!!!

Regards
miles

You must be Chris? I talked to Bill and Plamen at their office yesterday.

I went out today and saw a fish in the 40's. A buddy saw two big ones but he didn't have a head shot and he "didn't want to dive to 50' to cut it out...". Boy, there sure are some spoiled divers this year.

Bill,

Yeah it's Plamen.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT