• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish Byriani

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

getawayFK

Spearo-Doc
Mar 10, 2007
A wonderful spicy Indian dish - Fish Byriani;

Here's the video on the recipe & technique:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2CinMR-1zM&feature=channel_page]YouTube - fish biryani[/ame]

Bon appetit

V. good. The tips on preparing & cooking the fish that could be applied to other recipes too (e.g. Boulabiase - tomatio & fish soup/stew). I like the tip on skinning fish chunks and soaking the Basmati rice for 30 min. Interesting to see the volume of herbs & spices used.

I can see that becoming a bit of a regular around here. Costco sells Mahi-mahi in bags of frozen chunks that would be just perfect for that recipe. Of course, when the kayak comes . . .

Here it's spelled Briyani or Biryani... depends on who you talk to. Tasts delicious either way

Sounds delicious--I make it with some tilapia I've got.

For those who prefer their recipes written down, this is the way I made it tonight. Turned out pretty good, if I may toot my own horn.

Fish Biryani

1/3 lb. firm, skinless fish filets/person, cut into large bite-size chunks
Chili powder
Turmeric
Salad oil
Biryani masala powder
Juice of 1/2 lime
Salt

Marinate the fish in all the other ingredients for about an hour.

Start basmati rice in the rice cooker with ½ tsp garam masala but don’t fully cook it. Stop the cooking when there is at least 5-10 minutes left.

Brown the fish 2-3 minutes on each side and set aside.
In the same pan, put 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1/2 tsp. Biryani masala powder, half a cup of chopped mint leaves, and an equal amount of chopped cilantro plus a Tbs. minced fresh dill weed. Top with perhaps a tsp. of garlic ginger paste and a hot green pepper sliced lengthwise, thinly. Cover with a layer of fried onions then put on the lid and simmer until the vegetables are soft.

Spoon half the mixture over the fish.

Take the 80% cooked rice and spread it evenly over the remaining vegetables in the pan with a little more water, cover and gently simmer until the rice is completely cooked. Serve from the pan. Add either a salad or some fruit and it’s a complete meal.

Reactions: getawayFK
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…