• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

fish lost

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jason-c

Jul 30, 2012
hi mac here , had a dive today with a few buddies , saw loads of bass biggest being 7-8lb but being new to spearfishing didnt get any bass , how ever i did shoot a mullet about 4 or 5 lb but it came off ofthe spear can any one explain ifim doing anything wrong or if it just happens ?
many thannks mac:wave

I did exactly the same thing twice last year with two nice big mullet.

I then posted up on the forums about it and was advised that you should never put any pressure on the line (if you can avoid it) after shooting a fish, particularly mullet as they are very soft-bodied.

So these days I have developed an almost instinctive reaction of dropping the gun as soon as I have shot a fish, even if it is a shot clean through the gill plates. My gun is attached to my float line so I know I won't lose the fish, and after dropping the gun I immediately swim to the fish and grab it with a finger and thumb around the gills and mouth. I then quickly kill it with my string through the head. Then I string it either through the head or through the eyes - that way you don't risk it falling/ripping off the stringer.

Hope that helps. I haven't lost a single fish since developing these habits.

cheers mate so you compleatly drop the gun i presume its attached to the SMB ?

Gun attach to float ... Drop gun and swim to it. Have not last a fish since I was given this advice.

I don,t always like the hassle of a float so have my Omer set up wih a reel. I shoot, let it take some line and then swim to fish along line.

Are they ripping off, or sliding back over the spear? When you grab fish if it is on the spear and not line I put a hand on the spear so it can,t slip off if I fail to grab its gills.

It was the first mullet I have shot it just came I front of me and as soon as I saw it I shot I'm pretty sure it was a mullet but the vis was poor , yeah from now on I will attach my gun to a SMB

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…