• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish murder, the one that didnt get away

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kraftyjack

Sep 18, 2009
So i went to blackhawk lake again, wow what a lake. I had 18 fish in 45min once i foundem...to bad i had to swim half way across the lake to find them though. Found whole schools of fish at a 30ft drop off right by the bank under a fallen tree..it was awesome.

Funny story. So i finally saw my first crappie worth shooting that was actually in my sights, it was like 4 ft away. I fired and hit, soo happy i was, but when i retrieved the spear there was no fish. Now i know i hit it, it was too easy a shot, but wheres the fish? I saw the fish swim funny like it had a spear in it, i even saw the spear change course in mid shot. Bewildered i swam on and found many more crappies and killed my first one, followed by 13 more. Then when i had so many fish it was hard to pullem i started back towards shore but was stopped in my tracks by a crappie with all the skin pulled back from its skull...it was such a fresh wound it was still bleeding. That fish was fated to die by spear today and i finished him off with blow #2, nearly a half hour after i shot him the first time, and at least 100yrds down shore. It had to have been the same fish, theres no other explanation.

Also i got so fed up with my stringer and the time consuming tying/untying process, so i made my own speed stringers out of wire clothes hangers. they work perfect, fish is off spear and on stringer in no time flat with no tying and untying anymore, and the great thing is, the stringers cost me about a nickel a piece.

Fun report! Please post a photo of your stringer-clothes hanger.

I shot a 10' blue gill last fall in Golden Lake on my way out in 2 feet of water..The fish was definitely suicidal ..The water was very clear and that was the only fish in the shallow...The flopper made of old car wiper did not open and the fish ran away...Two weeks later I found the same fish 300 yards away dead on the bottom.

2 pics of my stringer, open and closed. You have to bend the end back to get the fish off the stringer, so i imagine they will only last about 6-7 outings before i have to either, make a new stringer or bend a new hook.

Picture of my giant gun, picasso basik. I love it, its cheap and hasnt failed me yet.

Lastly my first kill 30min after getting my gun in hawaii. It was harder than i thought finding food fish there since the food fish know what spearfishermen are. I resolved not to come back empty handed so i shot one of the pretty reef fish. Tasted like garbage, thats why they dont fear anything....they taste so bad.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 215
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 226
I once got down the beach to discover I had left my stringer at home. Luckily in the car I had a piece of wire. Not 5 minutes in the water and I shot an 8lb bass. I strung hin on the piece of wire on my belt. Next several dives I took the "lucky" wire instead of the stringer but it was a one off. Still it provided a nice memory.

There's a stringer thread here http://forums.deeperblue.com/uk-ireland/85663-belt-stringers.html .

Dave.

Went to black hawk lake yet again, its still clear and the fish are plenty so why stop. Didnt think there were carp in blackhawk, turns out there is. I shot at a monster carp but missed and so another one in about 20 ft of water, i chased him down until my float started to go under with me...must have been 25-30 ft and he just slipped away. so no carp but plenty of crappie and bluegill. The bluegill are soo easy i only shoot them when i havent seen a shootable crappie for about 20 min.

Theres my kills, couple of babies in there, but they easy to clean and taste good. my wife taking pictures of soon-to-be dinner...once she gets her speargun hopefully she will help clean them.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 270
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT