• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fish shot in 60.1m

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spadefish

Oct 8, 2007
Hi all,

Last week, a freediver shot a natal fingerfin at a depth of 60.1m (recorded on his Suunto D3). The gentleman in question is a top freediver, so the feat - although extreme - was possible. Personally, I might have got down, but would not have come up!!!!

Does anyone know what the maximum recorded depth a fish has been taken (obviously freediving only).

Regards

I know what a dive to 40m feels like. But I wouldn't entertain the idea of shooting a fish at that depth.

Although I have just spliced up a 10m extention for my 25m float line as I keep trying to drag my float under. :D

i remember about a dentex dentex taken @ something like 66m deep on a wreck by an italian comp spearfisher (can't remember his name)
it also was a 7+ kilos fish...

This one?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpcaJAH3N_k]YouTube - Spearfishing at 60m[/ame]

A lot of effort to catch your tea!

Quite an achievement though, well done to him!

Umberto has taken a fish deeper than that, sgnips can ask him the exact depth. The man is a legend in every way :)

When he told the story it made me smile because he said that on that day it was the last thing that fish would be expecting swimming at that depth. rofl

A 60m catch is absolutely mind blowingly good, that takes a good set of Kahunas!!

Mate MAres Nemo Apniest (metal housing)NOT Suunto D3 (blue plastic).

incredible dive but a LONG way for a little fish! respect to any body that can do thatdive in bifins shoot a fish and come back pumping his fists incredible.

Bjorn

I didn't realise it was Trevor Hutton. I remember him going for a world record in Free Immersion a good few years back, good to see he is still doing well.

60m spearing :head amazing

i remember about a dentex dentex taken @ something like 66m deep on a wreck by an italian comp spearfisher (can't remember his name)
it also was a 7+ kilos fish...

i wonder if that was using a "pendulo" or variable weight dive as a lot of Italian comp. spearos used at one point (Spanish too, Alberto March does 40m+ spearing dives this way)

This dive is impressive because it is bifin, and constant weight. As far as I could tell the dive time was 2:50?

that dentax was with a weight setup i remember reading the story in International freediving and spearfishing news some time ago.

i heard somewhere that David Carrera regularly spears in 60+m of water? can anyone confirm this, seeing as he did 99m with a mask at Deans Blue Hole technically he should be able to do it but does anybody know if it is true or not?

DD

DD, i never asked Davide what the deepest fish he had taken was. All I remember is that he spears in the 30 to 40m range, sometimes to 50M. He mentioned using bifins as you might imagine, but often using a dolphin kick on the deeper shots. As he spears commercially it would be counter productive to go so deep I would imagine. Safety too would be a too great consideration.

hmmm very true! productivity wise there would be no need to dive THAT deep but i'm sure i heard from someone that he had done something in the 60+ mark before. maybe just a story.

no surprise on using dolphin kick its a mighty long way down and back! there are a couple of guys in Aus that have speared fish in 50m+ but dont know anybody over that amount.

DD

DD, i never asked Davide what the deepest fish he had taken was. All I remember is that he spears in the 30 to 40m range, sometimes to 50M. .
yesterday he picked up a seashell down to 86...

wow, i hope it was a nice small one ;) say hi from me (Simon)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT