• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

flashers, chum: where?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rifmaniac

Jul 12, 2004
I'm thinking of trying chum on my next hunt
would like to know where to attach it:
-to the float attached to the spear gun
-to another independent float?

I would also like to know at what depth the chum has to be

thanks

it alll depends on where (reef, blue water, river, lake) you are hunting and what species you are going after

I'm thinking of using at ~2km(no boat) from the shore over 100m depth,
and I'm thinking of species such as small tuna and bonito, and Lichia amia

chum

We llike to get it at least 15ft or near the bottom beneath in a mesh bag with a weigth in it. we tie it on its own rope from a corner cleet or on the anchor. if you put it on the surface the fish we hold to far behind the boat since the current carries it away before it sinks and gets to the fish. two pennies wrapped in tin foil are a great ace up the sleve when pelagics are about. If they apper out of range let the flasher fall and theyll rush in to check it out and youll have your sht that you never thought possible. be safe allways dive with a buddy and stay close to the boat since shark migh also come to the chum. We like to tie another 40m line on a bouy behind the boat so we can hang on to it and wait for fish to swim into the chum line bellow...
hope it helps a bit..

Its a good tecnique for clear water that has some current. the 40m line is tied to a cleet from the back as well. Also give it time to work.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT