• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Float line rope - 20m for £1.99 in Lidl now

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I popped into Lidl today and noticed that they had a basket/section of assorted cords & rope. Amongst it was "PP" (polypropylene) rope suitable for spearfishing float lines. Very similar Rob Allen's olive/orange float line except that it was only available in dark blue (which looks quite good). I didn't buy any, as I already have several float lines - but a bargain@ £1.99 for 20m for those in need of a good float-line. (I have found 20m to be more than enough for all my needs so far.)

If you want to make it more like a Rob Allen line, splice a generous loop (e.g. big enough to get 4-fingers through it) in each end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinniped72
Now theres a coincidence! At the weekend I bought 20m PP rope from Aldi, same type of thing in orange and the same price. I have two other float lines but if I see a reel of PP rope I just have to buy it and this stuff looks decent in a fairly small diameter. Looks ideal, my other PP float lines are thicker in diameter than this stuff and I wanted to downside! :D

I would have bought some but the Lidl in question was completely packed with shoppers (noon Sunday) and I didn't fancy queuing. They recently increased the size of this store & doubled the size of its parking lot - still not enough capacity to satifisy demand! The oldest local supermarket Tescos closed down recently, leaving newer Morrisons, Sainsbury & M&S Food stores to compete. Fortunately there is another Lidl a bit nearer to home and that too has been enlarged (store & parking). Aldi is still too far away for me but my son is near one now :).

I have got some decent stuff from Lidls and Aldis over the years, when in either shop I always look at the weeks specials, silly not to really :D

Yes, their chisels are cheap (£7 for 4 with German blades & ash handles) but well regarded. They sell out quick though. The entire basket/section was completely empty last time they were available in our nearest store. Their <£5 axes & crab bags can sell out quickly too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT