• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Floatlines

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dogmatrix

Deeper Blues pet
Jun 4, 2002
I am after a few opinions on floatlines... I would like to know any good/bad experiances as well as general opinions on the different materials and how they handle different situations...

Anyone used a PVC floatline around coral reef or rocks? If so how did it go and did you have any problems? I am thinking of taking one to PNG with me and trying it on a few tuna (doggies and hopefully yellowfin). any feedback would be appreciated.
Rob

Hi Dog ,
Don't think I've ever used anything but PVC for my floatline and haven't had any problems . The line I use for "general" spearing on the reef has a smallish cork about 4 m. behind the attachment point to the gun . This helps keep the line up and away from the reef , minimizing the chances of snagging when spearing stuff like jacks .
BTW ; don't forget to take a camera ...

Reactions: Dogmatrix
Arr verry cool! Exactly what I wanted to know! I will go ahead with plans to make up a 6mm PVC tube floatline with 500+ pound inner core... thought about using dynema for a while... but it brings the cost to high.

ok Fuzz a while back you asked for some pics and I have been real slack lately if you would still like them give me a Po box and i will fling a whole heap your way Volcanoes, waterfalls, bit of back to basics type stuff ect!

Abri I have underwater camera here... but I wasn't sure how to use it last time... I am heading back up in july with shadow... and maybe one other person... so I will try to get some photo's...

*grins* might give shadow the camera and let him take pics while i spear fish mwa hahaha don't think he would be in on it though

Oh no....not the float line thing again. :head . I've used the vinyl tubing and it works fine. Am going to try norprene and silastic (silicone elastic).

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…