• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

floats

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002
Anyone have any experience with the 11 liter foam filled Rob Allen floats? Found a pretty good deal on them and was wondering how others felt about them. The only thing I noticed in the picture was that they appear to lack the usual array of d-rings and a flag...but I can fix those problems.

In other words if you have experience with them
1. Do you like them and why
2. Any problems with them, if so what?

Rig,

What I read, I repeat READ, it is very durable. Maybe very suitable for those oil rigs nasty metal. Not good for someone who likes to travel around in other than his own boat.

The only thing I can not confirm is how light it is when pulled by a waiting spearo. U know the Riffe shape is as such it takes minimum effort to pull. When I play with boat fender as float, they don't pull as light as a Riffe.

For the price they are selling, I think it is a MUST buy.

They seem pretty coll stuff at that price i really wanted to buy one few months ago.But i am afraid from the shipping fee.They must be sellining in Africa too.It's closer to me.Any info from where i can get one from nearest dealer?

I have a Mares Inflatable float - It's developing some small pin hole and patching never lasts long - does anyone know the best way to foam fill it? Was thinking of that sprayfoam and squiting it through the nozzle.

Willer

Hi Rig , the RA foamies are pretty good . We don't use flags back home so you will have to "rig" one yourself ...;)
I have used them on occasion but personally prefer the big lifesavers' float ; the foamies have much higher resistance when dragged through the water .
There have been cases where the attatchment points have torn in the past , not sure what the current crop is like though .

Originally posted by Abriapnea
the foamies have much higher resistance when dragged through the water .

I figured that...but for the price I can get three of them for less than I can get one unrigged lifeguard float...how bad are they really Abri?

I think attachment being torn is a real possibility.
Maybe you guys should use codura or ballistic cloth as the jacket. The bigger the float the more tearing power it place on the jacket.

My friend has a Picasso and he was shocked that it was made of the material like his boy baby float. Buying thru internet sure can't beat feeling, touching & inspecting the stuff.

Originally posted by Iyadiver
I Buying thru internet sure can't beat feeling, touching & inspecting the stuff.

How did that mail order bride work out Iya?:chatup

Rig , they will do the job ; no worries . At that kind of price it sounds like a good deal .
Unless you are expecting to shoot fish that constantly pull all your gear under the attachment points should be fine .
When we spear back home we drag the float/line behind in the water while boatriding back upcurrent a lot and this puts a lot of strain on those foamies .

Float flag

Rig,

Florida Freedivers has the Rob Allen floats with a flag and ballast installed.

Guy

rig,

That's all we use down in florida. Those loops can hold up to 800lbs. They're so much easier to pull through the water than the lifegaurd cans and are actually pretty light. We have about 12 of them in all different sizes/configurations.

I sent you an email.

Andrsn

Rig,

That mail order bride did not come with enclosed track as I thought, so kind of "whipping" is what I get.........:head :D

IYA,

Try using thinner rubbers and make sure you don't dry fire your weapon. :naughty

:D
Anderson

that 11 liter foam float looks like the dealeo...thanks for the link to fl. freedivers...those pockets are a pretty good idea.

A...I mailed you back:D

Originally posted by andrsn
They're so much easier to pull through the water than the lifegaurd cans ...

The RA foamies are cylindrical ; right ? and the lifeguard floats are the ones that Pammy used to clutch oh so tightly ?

Andrsn , do you really find it easier to pull that blunt profile through the water ; Those lifeguard floats have such a nice way of keeping their noses up out of the water ...:confused:

hi

I was going to order a 11ltr foam float today. But Abri was saying that the loops can pull off. Makes me think twice If I shot a big doggie and he had the float going under at full pace would this thing hold up.

cheers

According to my info...Andrsn is right about the 800 lbs of pull it would take to tear it. Thats alot! Considering most of your other attachment points will fail before that...i.e. swivels, ect.

Yeah , Rig , but there is a difference in hanging 800 lbs. from it NOW and again a year later after its been in constant contact with seawater ...
As I said , maybe the current bunch are made better , the ones I saw 5 - 7 years ago had a tendency to come undone .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT