• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Floats

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

saint

Mar 9, 2008
Hi,I intend to try some inshore spearfishing in Devon & Cornwall this year.I don't expect I will be going any deeper than 20 ft.What's the best way to use a float?Anchor it and move it with you?tether to yourself with enough spare to dive etc?clip to the gun?Any advice on floats and how to use them would be useful.

How you use it will depend on how you dive I suppose. If you will be spending a lot of time in one small area then maybe it would be best to anchor it and move it as you move to another area. I like to dive in currents or move slowly but constantly cover a wide area so I find it more convenient to clip it to my gun. People will no doubt disagree with me but I think it unwise to clip to yourself just incase you get snagged up under the water. What I tend to do is pull a bight under my weight belt to have a similar effect but no real connection, a moderate tug and it's off.

Pastor's right about not wanting to clip it to yourself...too many possibly horrendous scenarios ....dumb boater driving by and getting line tangled in propeller and dragging you away probably being the worst. Clipping it to the gun is your best move, and then just tucking it under your belt so it doesn't pull at your gun when you're trying to aim etc... One thread discussed this very thing and one member took a standard 3 prong plastic clip (like is found on school kids backpacks or most sports bags) and filed the edges down so that it would come undone with a moderate tug. The line ran from the gun to this clip, which was attached to his belt, and then to the float. That way the float would stay connected to him but in the event of an emergency it could easily be disconnected. I recall discussing of this clip being buried within a long thread, but maybe the inventor will comment here for you. Either way, it can't be that difficult to rig one up, just make sure it's safe. Good luck and happy hunting

what i usually do is clip the float line to my gun with a longline snap, and run the line through a cheap carabiner style clip ( which can easily be unclipped ) which is on my weight belt via about 6 inches of line.

this way, if the gun or spear got caught on something, i can go for air, without having to unclip anything, as the float line just runs through the carabiner.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT