• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Flopper fitting...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi
I'm thinking to take mount the flopper off my spearshaft like the RA ones (it is currently upwards opening) . The question is how can I fix it after I cut off the original flopper pin?

What do you suggest me to use as a new pin. (I couldnt find a new orginal flopper fixing pin)?

You could use a S-Steel nail of the same diameter as the original pin. Use ones with small heads.

Keep the head on one side to stop the pin falling through. Using a set of pliers( or a saw) cut the nail so about 2-3 mm is showing out the other side. Put the shaft on a hard surface (nail head down) and using a ball pein hammer (ball on the end) flatten the edges of the protruding pin until the pin will not fit back through the flopper.

Hope I made myself clear

mission completed, I also smoothed the water resisting edges of the flopper...

Memo,

Make sure the last +-20 or degrees of opening has resistance/friction and will allow the flopper to remain open, this is important. Have fun hunting....:p

Do you think it will differ too much by taking the flopper down ???

Sorry Memo, I don't really understand the question.
Do you mean flopper down ( in respect to loading tab ) as in Hawaiian shaft ?

I only use Hawaiian shaft version of any single flopper, never try the type where the flopper in on top of the shaft ( tahiti ? ).

I usually define my Hawaiian shaft tuning ( the floper ) as "good" by shaking the shaft to simulate wounded fish, the flopper should then open and remain open. When the fish try to flee, that extra last opening angle of the flopper will be pushed really open by the fish body, that's when I find it safe to tug hard on the shooting line.

I find adjusting flopper time consuming ( I am not good at it ) and one must be patient for good result. Haven't use Hawaiian shaft in a long time, I have been using slip tip all the time, I don't even like double flopper regular screw-on spearhead anymore.

Have fun fine tuning the flopper.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT