• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Flopper on the inferior side of the spearshaft

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Settingsteel,your floppers got to be a little looserofl,Right?!

Tomy Suero,
I had this same prob with my black viper100 I tried a 6.5 shaft and even with a open muzzle it still could never hit a thing,Put the 6mm shaft back on and it is one of my most accurate guns.:head

Last edited:
The position of the flopper makes huge difference in close-range shots.
The first time I switched from Tahitean to Hawaiian shaft on my 90 cm gun all my shots were at least 15-20 cm high. I flattened the end of the flopper to try and decrease this effect and it helped, but the shots were still high. Then I just changed the position of the flopper and everything went back to normal.
In long-range shots the influence is not that noticeable especially with underpowered guns, which tend to shoot low anyway.

Coral Sniper, Thanks for your input I will try changing the flopper first and if it does not work I will change the shaft.

Tomy.

Thanks, Dobs. I went fishing today and it was definitely a disaster. Out of every 4 shots, I only landed 1 and I'm not even that bad; been doing this for years. I am going to change the shaft to a Tahitian style one. Hopefully, this time it will work. If not, I'll try to get the original one(in 6.3mm & 125cm).

I use spears whit both types.
The omer spear has a flopper that when open, get stuck and will close only whit help. It's on the top of the spear and sometimes it's annoying when it stays up and in the line of aim.
The seacsub flopper (top of the spear) is loose and it will close or open according to gravity. But when it closes makes a metallic sound, like a click.

If opened, the flopper mounted on the bottom tend to get stuck in sea grass/roots when start to surfacing.

Any protuberance outside the shaft diameter will deflect the spear in some degree.
Due to gravity, the (perfect) spear tend to travel in an arch line and not a straight one. So, if mounted in right position, the flopper can counter it. But I can't figure it out if for this it should be mounted on top or bottom.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…