• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Floppy Rubbers!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Doc

Dad to the little monster
May 8, 2006
:hmm hi all
Just a quickie question. I've had a few misses recently and am convincing myself that the gun is shooting slower!
Its a carbon comanche 90 with G20 rubbers which are probably 18 months old now and only a few little cracks showing. I need just as much power to load it as before but it just doesnt seem as snappy when i shoot.
Anyone know what the half life of rubbers is?? tried silicone spray but soon realised this was to make my other rubber suit look shineyrofl rofl

The spray won't help (might make things worse). If cracks have appeared then the rubber is perishing and will definitely be weaker. Once a season is a good rule of thumb in terms of changing them i.e. on you first trip of the year make sure you have new slings. Be sure to wash them well in freshwater as soon as you can after diving and keep them out of the sun; saltwater and sunshine are the deadliest of foes for our rubber friends!!! The only thing to put on rubbers in the closed season is unperfumed talc which helps keep the air from oxidising the outside surface.

Reactions: spaghetti
If they have scratches near the threads I would replace them: you know in no way you can restore them. However, the reduced "snappiness" could be just an impression...

Last edited:
Sorry spaniard the silicone bit was my warped sense of humour I cnt imagine loading a gun with rubbers covered in silicone, its bad enough getting a grip of the wife when she is wearing it!! Ha Ha
The little cracks were there from day one so I assumed they were normal. maybe they sold me a set from old stock but they havnt got worse in the last 18 months.
Spaghetti, thanks for that maybe it is just my imagination, or just a s****y excuse for being a crap shot!!!:)

I change mine every season as a matter of course. I find most bands perform best after a few dives, ie 20 loadings & then gradually become easier to load.

Reactions: Mr. X
I agree with changing every season, and if your gona take a long break I have heard that storing them in a paper sack in the refridge. works to keep the pop in them.

good luck

Joel

If you have small cracks in the area where they go through the barrel (ie. the centre) turn them over the inside should still be fine, another thing you can do is snip off the ends and put in a new dyneema this should add a few more hunts to their life span and power, if you cant be bothered just get new ones from the shop.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT