• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

florida freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

scott

Apr 11, 2001
A while back, we had a fairly lively thread by this same title that seems to have been lost or deleted from these forums. I've noticed that we have recently gained some new members in Florida (or divers who want to come to Florida) and so I thought I would revive the thread.

If you are interested in potentially diving in Florida with others on these forums, please post a note and subscribe to this thread and we'll post upcoming dive trips and you can post your trips as well. For you old-timers who posted to the original thread, please post again to get your name on this new list (if you're still interested).

I've met some great people through db and look forward to meeting some more.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,
Definately interested in a trip to Florida! I often go to Destin and Panama City and occasionally as far as St. Pete. Oh yeah, feel free to come experience rig diving at its best sometime. Anyway this post is a great idea!

Me to Jeff, I'm interested aswell in freediving Florida springs just ask Scott when he gets back from his trip.:D
I've been getting info from Scott on Florida springs so when my schedule opens I can come down and go dive with Scott. Another thing I'm just getting into freediving so I can't go as deep as you and Scot yet.
I looked at your webpage it's really great, i like the dive logs. What kind of dive computer are you using to get dive graphs your posting for your logs? tTalk Later

Blade Out:D

Last edited:
florida springs

Jeff,

Thanks for updating your springs website. It has proven very helpful to me as I have found some great remote springs through the map feature.

I'm planning on going to West Palm in August to meet up with Scott Turgeon. Perhaps you can join us as well.

Went to Blue Springs on Sunday late afternoon to try out a new wetsuit (a 3/2 Boz full suit). I don't know if it was the full suit (warmer than my shorty plus a nice glide through the water) or if I was just having a good day, but had I two pb dives (bottom time), both with very little effort. As I try to dive a little safer these days, I don't push it when I'm by myself but I hit these times without pushing any envelopes. I'll find out if next time if it was the suit or just something I ate (or didn't eat).

Thanks again,

Scott

which blue springs are you guys going to, I must pulling up the wrong webpage. The one I found didn't look very inviting and I'm not sure how your getting 100+ dives out of it, can you point me to the right website?
:)

Blade Out

weeki wachee

Jeff/Others,

I'm planning a day trip to Weeki Wachee Springs and Hospital Hole for Saturday, July 27th if you are interested.

For those unfamiliar, Weeki Wachee Springs is an old Florida tourist attraction that features "mermaid" shows. In between shows, you can freedive the spring. Even though it is only 45' deep, it is beautiful with unlimited visibility of crystal clear spring water. Hospital Hole is over 100' deep. While not the greatest viz, it is still an interesting dive.

You can reply on this forum or e-mail me at scottlnelson@hotmail.com if interested.

Scott

P.S. Blade, the Blue Springs that I mentioned is in Volusia County (there are at least 13 Blue Springs in Florida). It is a state park and you can read about it at:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/springs_of_fl/aaj7320/blue_volusia.html
(note that this is an old, and incaccurate, description of the spring).

and

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/district3/bluespring/index.asp

Jeff I'm actually thinking about dusting off the credit card buying a Suunto D3.
I think with my first trip down to florida I'm going to go to Morrison and Vortex, It's alot closer to Atlanta so i can make it a good weekend trip. I will post an invite before I head down.

Blade Out

weeki wachee

Jeff,

Weeki Wachee is a definite. I plan to leave from Orlando around 7-7:30 AM. Should be back home by supper. E-mail me and we can confirm a meeting place. I'll have room in my car for one more if your girls don't go (my sons will be going with me). I'll have my boat to get to Hospital Hole and can shuttle people if necessary (the Hole is very close to the put-in).

See a separate thread as it relates to the Honduras trip - which was very succcessful.

Blade,

Keep us posted as to your Vortex/Morrison trip. Those are great springs.

Scott

Alexander Spring

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to let you all know I am going to Alexander Springs just North of Orlando Saturday for some freediving. I will post my comments about the spring as well as how to get there when I get back.

Dive Safe

Levi

Levi,

Thanks for posting. Hope you have fun at Alexander Springs - it is not very deep but very pretty with lots of fish. I don't recommend gong too far back in the cavern/cave as the flow is very strong and the space is tight.

While you're in the area (and if you have the time), run up to the road (Hwy 19) to Silver Glen Springs. Even prettier, deeper and more fish.

Enjoy and let us know how you like it,

Scott

Devil' Den

Jeff and I had a great time this past Saturday at Weeki Wachee, Hospital Hole & Crystal River.

Planning on a trip to Devil's Den (Williston) and then over to Devil's Sink (Palatka) this Saturday. Any who want to join are welcome - just send me an e-mail for the details.

Scott

Tampa next.

Scott:
I've been reading the recent activity in Florida. I have to say I am pleased to see that you've invested in a warmer suit! And it sounds like it was worth it.

I'll be in Tampa the weekend of November 8th (on the way to the Bahamas). Any suggestions for diving around there? Maybe we could coordinate a spring dive.

Glad to see so much interest around Florida.

-Greg.

freediver in atlanta

You live in Atlanta, I've been looking all over for someone that freedives in Atlanta. I Go to North Georgia College in Dahlonega and started diving in Lake Lanier. where do you dive and train if you don't mind me asking?

BladeRunner Out

Wow! there's another one up here? I thought I was the only freak. Excellent news! Regarding my "training", I'm not the most discilplined diver these days. Most of my diving these days occcur on rare visits to my parents house in Ocala or the even more rare business trip to a coast. Since moving here from Ft. Lauderdale over a year ago I've been battling new time constraints, commuting 40 miles to work (like an idiot), blue water D.T.'s, blah, blah,...you get the picture. And I just couldn't bring myself to contemplate Lake Lanier as an option even though it's only half a mile from my piece of Sugar Hill Heaven! So, youv'e braved the murky brown depths? I'm willing to give it a shot and would have before now, maybe, but as you know this is not a popular sport among hillbillies. It's good to hear from a fellow freediver!

I would welcome some local knoweledge. We should compare notes and stalk some catfish...or discarded appliances.

-Greg.

Hey that's great that I found someone that freedives now. I've try to put notes on local dive shop posting boards looking for someone to dive with but I get the strangest looks and my notes pulled soon as I leave. The lake isn't really brown where I go but I get there with my british sea kayak. That's another one of my loves, I pack my gear in the water tight hatches and paddle to some of the islands which have good sand beaches with deep little lagoons to dive in. Sorry I don't have a boat. The traffic is slowing down now so the water is clearing nicely. I hope you like cold water because the winter is the best time to dive I think for Lanier.
I will leave my E-mail and I'll tell you alittle more about my experience with freediving. It's very limited right now, I'm really just begining but I'm going to shift to high gear shortly.

Greg if you have ICQ my # is 104802784 you can find me on most of the time.

llaxson@hotmail.com

BladeRunner OUT:cool:

Last edited:
Crystal River/Rainbow Springs

Greg,

Good to hear from you. From Tampa, Crystal River and Rainbow Springs (River) are about the closest good springs.

Let me know as I probably could make the trip on Saturday the 9th. Maybe even Jeff can join in as well (we'll put the kayaks in tow on the Rainbow River).

Talk to you soon,

Scott

Crystal River / Rainbow Springs

Hi Scott:
We get into Tampa on the evening of the 8th. Hopefully my brother won't have the entire day planned. I created a couple of monsters when I introduced him and his wife to Hashing (let me know if you are unfamiliar with this sport and I will explain. Certainly this site must be loaded with other fellow Hashers). Now they are in it up to their eyeballs and are laying a trail for Saturday's Hash. If I am involved, hopefully it will be late in the day which will allow us to meet up at one of the springs. I will find out and let you know how the day looks.

As for the second part of the trip, know of any good spots near West End on Grand Bahama?

-Greg.

Lake Lanier

Bladerunner:
I was wondering the same things Jeff is asking about. I also heard the lake is down quite a bit making everything a bit shallower?

I have been in contact with the program manager of the Georgia Aquarium trying to explain to them why they should include a 135' deep dive tank in the project. They are starting to listen...slowly, but I think they might get it, maybe, eventually.

-Greg.

Hashing?

Greg,

I have no idea what hashing is.

FYI, to hit Crystal River and Rainbow Spring would be a full day from Tampa. If you have less than that, I would suggest meeting early at Rainbow and you could be back in Tampa by later in the afternoon.

I have never been to the Bahamas so can't help you there.

Scott

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT