• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Food/Nourishment during Spearfishing - Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aqua_nut1

Nov 14, 2004
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I’ve been a fairly regular visitor to Deeperblue for the past couple years and I have learnt a tremendous amount of things from everyone on the forum.

I would like to know what do you eat while spearfishing/ freediving? That is if you are going to be in the water for say four hours or more, what do you eat during that time. I do not have a boat and anything that I am going to consume must be taken with me in the water since all of my spearfishing is done as entries from the shore which is usually a fair trek from where I park my car.

The obvious would be power bars but I wanted to know what is good and what should be avoided. I guess things that wouldn’t be too hard to digest as I could pull up on a rock and consume something and then relax for a while and back in the water again.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciate.

Rob

Last edited:
I bring lots of water, but I do not eat. found that I get better bottom times with an empty stomach. Water is key.

penis butter in the morning is a good source of protein and energy

Yep . I think I'll pass on that breakfast....
anyway I take abottle of water with me and if I plan on doing a long session I mix this stuff up called Milupa It is basically a recovery food for invalids, That helps and you don't get massive reflux heartburn when you invert for a dive.
I think that Complan is another type of drink mix that works.

wooooopssss ahhahaha :eek: oh god how did that happen..

just to clear things up, i meant peanut butter..

Hey Mishu:
glad to hear that you did a mistake....I was worried about you!!! lol

When I go spearfishing (6 hours or more), for breakfast I usually eat quaker, some bread with mermelade and juice (orange/peaches). Some other days I might also have a boiled chicken breast with plain rice and juice.
Now for the water, it depends if its diving from the shore or on a boat. For both cases, fluids are important:gatorade and/or a sort of a recovery drink for invalids that we have, granolas and some cookies with chocolate (these ones for the last hour though, some people get an acid stomach with chocolate, but we need extra calories cause the water is cold).

Cheers,

Roberto

Mishu, I was hoping you meant Peanut Butter. rofl

Thanks for all the advice everyone. If any one else has any other suggestions, please go ahead and add them to the tread.

I shore dive, duration between 6-9 hours. I don't bring any food or drink with me in water and have no complain. I just eat like crazy when i am out of water....My mouth gets salty while in sea and can't even drink fresh water :hmm May be i should change this habit :hmm

Murat
Dehydration has been linked with SWB , I think it is real important that a diver keeps well hydrated.
If you get a salty mouth rinse it and then take a drink.
For me personally , making sure that I have a bottle of water to hand is essential, My bottom times get shorter the more dehydrated I am.

thanks huan for the advise. What about water + sugar + honey mix to drink while diving?

you can use that mix but don´t make it too strong, to much sugar will pull water out off you with osmotic pressure. I use half cola and half water that tastes really bbad but it is good and keep you diving. Always drink alot and by the way use a pissette/duck bill beacuse when you drink a lot you....

Just in case you are interested, there is a huge database of food compositions.
As well a sorted list, by content measure, of specific
nutrients/minerals/vitamins.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html

Canada has their own version, largely supported by the US one. Yet, this one you can download the database and be notified as it is updated. I downloaded it and loaded it into my mySQL database. I can now search the thing on my computer using any query I wish, related to SQL. Maybe I will make a PHP script to be able to access it from a browser.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/food-aliment/ns-sc/nr-rn/surveillance/cnf-fcen/e_cnf_downloads.html

power gel works for me. My triathalon buddies got me on it while diving and I find it doesnt hurt my bottom time as much as whole foods. But it definately keeps me diving longer.

Does that powergel dry your mouth out like a power bar? always hated that...

mishu1984 said:
penis butter in the morning is a good source of protein and energy

...and he has a prescription for penis-cilin for soar throats too.

...a little peter-bismol for an upset tummy...

how the hell did you manage that slip Mishu? rofl That will be a long standing classic for sure.

negative on the dry throat. Its pretty good, I like the vanilla(taste like cake icing :p )

Rig: no idea...probably has something do with the fact that i had some George Carlin in the background..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT