• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

For All Euro Spearos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
No, I have enquired.

From the Mareasub wetsuit I think he must be Italian but this pic was posted on a Spanish website.

Biggest dentex I have ever seen by a long way. 38 metre aspetto is hardcore especially as it was constant weight. (No dropping weight belt on bottom)

Shaca, can you ID the fish and tell us something about them? Great pics! :martial
Thanks for the post!
OceanSwimmer :wave

That is a Dentex Bream (Dentex dentex) They grow up to 14 kilos and can be found inside the med where they generally hunt along the thermoclines. They hunt in packs like wolves and are called Dentex because of their big canine teeth. They have the most acute vision and biggest power to weight ratio of all the Sparidae family and catching them requires the ultimate spearing technique. Very deep aspettos with mimetic suits at the crack of dawn or dusk. Every apect of the spearos technique must be perfect for the fish to come into range. That guy in the pic must be a spearing god!!!!!

Shane's right Ocean, dentex are considered the king of fish around the Med. For Ph.D's in Spearfishing! :D I wonder how long he did the aspetto for. 38 meters plus aspetto....that's too much even to think about. Very inspiring though!

Adrian

Dentex is a very very suspicious fish, so he must have been at 38m for a respectable time!!!

Last edited:
Hi all,
Sorry for the dumb question, but what aspetto means

Rgrds,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Aspetto is a technique used in spearing which plays on the fishes curiousity or territorial instincts.

Basically Aspetto means "Wait" in Italian. You swim to the bottom, find a secluded spot and wait. Fish will feel you from a long way away and will come and investigate. The quieter you are once on the bottom the closer the fish will come. You can also make some noises like crunching a couple of stones with your free hand, or knocking your gun butt on the bottom. THis will cause vibration which attract the fish.

The golden rules are to keep as still as possible, never look the fish in the eyes and look away from the sun (this will stop your mask from reflecting the light and frightening the fish) The fish won't be able to see you either.

Hope this helps.

Shane

Hi, Shane

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
As I understand this is a kind of enhanced ambush technique.
Now I see why 38 m aspetto is so hard - because of the time needed to stay down and wait the fish to come investigating.

Rgrds,
Peter

Yep, hardcore.... I usually hunt at -10M and few times at -15M and I find "waiting" the best technique... but quite difficult at -15M...
Respectable fish and depth...:)

Pekka

In my last dive i saw pack of three dentex. The biggest was 15cm. They were so over reacting fishes even for that size, and the birght purple color was astonishing.
Does anyone knows when spero can hunt those fish more easily? Which months? May i consider smaller dentexes are sign of bigger ones in the area? or they just spawned and turned back to deep?

Rolando,
Dentex tastes like our sheepshead or porgies (same family). It is considered very good in the Med but then again there are no hogfish or snappers there...

Angelos

Wow, that was fast!

óáò åõ÷áñéóôþ ôá ìÝãéóôá!.
(Thank you very much!)

murat
dentex cups (less than 1 kg) gets closer to shore at april and may
that is also the time when u see big ones at 10 mt .
after august u have to go 20 mt and more to find them.
the best time for hunting is at dawn
they lay on sandy spots amongst the kelp (eriþte) at night
u get a decent sized fish at 5 10 m if u can close one behind still laying
btw these are what i have heard , i personally shot just two of them:)

Reactions: Murat
I shot one years ago, same way as kenten described...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT