• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Forgive my ignorance...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ThumbsUp

Feb 14, 2014
Hi guys

I've been lurking on here for a while, I've read, and benefitted from, a lot of threads on here and figured that now the time has come to instigate a discussion instead of just observe yours.

I'm an Englishman currently living in Australia. I'm no spearfisherman (yet) but have been learning at my local beach with a friend who's speared his whole life and been kind enough to show me the ropes, lend me old bits of gear and generally get me in the water over the last couple of months.

I've been slowly buying up my own gear and now have a gun, knife, mask and snorkel, some fins and a vest-style wetsuit piece, however I now need to buy a full wetsuit, with hood n'all plus socks and gloves, and a weightbelt, but the wetsuit is where most of my questions lie...

I need to get a suit soon as in exactly 2 weeks time I will be heading up to the far north and will be in tropical waters where the protection from stingers offered by a full wetsuit is critical.

However, I'm only going to be here temporarily, and so am reluctant to spend big bucks on an expensive suit suitable for the tropical water here when, in a few months time, I'll be back in the colder climates of Europe presumably needing to buy a 6 or 7mm wetsuit for use back there...

I know, I know, 'just buy 2 suits!' is probably what you're thinking but I'm a cheap bastard and just wondered whether I have any other options available? What would you do in my situation? I've read of spearos wearing thin lycra-style suits made not for warmth but purely for protection in tropical waters, so could I be better off getting something like that and then buying a 'cold climate' suit for when I get back home? Or is there anything on the market that would accomodate my short-term and long-term needs... One suit for a number of different climates perhaps?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long first post.

Peace.

Matt

Hi ThumbsUp,

As you pointed out, two or more suits is really the way to go. For me, being comfortable in the water is the first priority as this will affect all aspects of my dive.

Below is a breakdown of what suits me in different temperatures. (Temp is Celsius)
  • I have never dived in water under 7 deg so have no need for anything thicker.
  • 7 - 17 deg I use an open cell 5mm
  • 18 - 22 deg I use a 3mm open cell suit.
  • 23 - 28 deg I the 3mm farmer john bottom with a lycra top.
  • 28+ deg I use a full lycra or surf baggies with lycra top.
Keep in mind that everyone is different so you will have to experiment a bit to see what works for you.

Where you will dive will have an effect so I would recommend to check what the area you will be diving is like. In some areas you will have nice warm water at the top with a themocline below that with as much as a 10 deg difference between the top and bottom layer.

The type of diving will also affect what you can get away with. Shore dives usually see you spending long periods of time the water so you will have more opportunity to get cold. When diving from a boat where you are in and out of the water the whole time you can get away with a cooler outfit as you won't stay in the water long enough get cold.

Your diving style will also influence how much heat you generate. Some guys stay very active and will thus generate more heat than someone that dives at a slower pace.

In saying all of that, I really don't think anything over a 3mm suit, even if you are using only the farmer john part, will work in tropical seas.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…