• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Forward Line Release Layout

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

defofthecrown

Morone saxatilis
Mar 8, 2003
Okay this is for the guys who play w/ woo... er...teak and such. I'm trying to fiqure out how S. alexander (as opposed to Matt Alexander who makes some impressive looking guns, anyone have one?) mounts his line release in front of the trigger w/ that centrally located screw in the handle. If you've made a 'wide' gun that won't accept a side line realese PLEASE inform...

I love the merlo looking guns, but I'm not sure that I want to spend MORE money on lexan and build my own handle as opposed to a stock handle.

line release

I wonder if it's feasible to install a trigger like the old Sea Hunter? They mounted a revolving star wheel in front of the trigger. Takes one screw or rivet vertically mounted forward of the trigger. The trigger had a nub which projected forward and rested against the star wheel. When the trigger was pulled the starwheel rotated free.

On my 'Carribean Biller', which had no line release, only a clip like we saw in the 50's; I welded a sharkfin forward of the wishbone notches, and attach the line to that. Never had a problem with it. I think that soft kevlar works better than stiff cable or mono. Stiff line forms loops and coils and create a slight noise when unwinding to escape through the muzzle. No real problem to report though.

About the S Alexander gun. I don't see your point. To me, it looks as if the line release on the tuna gun is mounted under the sear box. The photo on the website is rather small, though, and indistinct.

Last edited:
forward line release

Def, I toyed with this idea some time ago when I was building a mid handle gun with an Alexander handle. I went as far as building the components but never put it on a gun since I really didn't need it. It was a pretty slim gun and a sear-activated side line release was going to do the trick so I dumped the idea. But I had the same problem as you're having, "how da hell do I get around this stupid center mounting screw???" Aha!! That's just it!!! Go AROUND it. Okay, okay, I'll forget the spiel and just get to the essentials. Here's what you can do or something similar. The pictures should do most of the explaining but here is a short description.

Make a plastic slider with two slots. One slot for the screw and a smaller one for the remote trigger to poke through. In my case I used a piece of UHMW. The trigger pushes on the slider which pushes on the push-rod which activates the trigger mechanism mounted at the back of the gun. The slider also holds the line release until the instant before the trigger mechanism lets go of the spear shaft. You will need to tweak it by trimming either the slider or the line release so that the timing is just right. Good luck and show us your gun when its done.

Gil

Attachments

• dsc01566.jpg
    dsc01566.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 419
I could have taken a crap with the time it took to post that pic. Damn!!

Attachments

• dsc01571.jpg
    dsc01571.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 389
Finally!!! Here's the last one. I really need to get DSL.

Attachments

• dsc01575.jpg
    dsc01575.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 371
Thanks for the pics Gilbert! I wasn't sure what Defo was talking about but I thought it had something to do with that foward mounting screw.Now I have a question .How does that line release work?I assume that pulling the trigger back causes the
slider to move forward but not sure what happens after that.

Nevermind. I was thinking the line release attached to the slider but it actually attaches to the gun and the slider keeps it secured
before firing . Genius!!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT