• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

frameless Mask, single pane or double pane- view vs volume

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

WRPJR

Jan 1, 2022
So in my mind the most important piece of equipment is the mask. I have quite a few and am in a dilemma. I have the scuba pro double plane comp, this mask has the second best field of view in it. It’s also low volume and even lower when you dive. But, when diving deep it compresses. They say that you have a temporary blurring of vision when it compresses. The concern is whether this will screw up the shot on a fish. I have not noticed it but my vision is terrible anyway. a better diver than me said he did not want his mask to compress but never elaborated. The second mask is the beuchat Max lux s. It’s a single pane and higher volume but no issue with compression and if given the option I prefer the single pane. The third is the cressi nano. The worst field of view but equal in volume to the scuba pro without the compression issue.

that was a super bad question. Anyone have opinions on the best TYPE of mask for deep spearfishing?

A mask that fits and offers a wide view, not all masks fit all people. A small interior volume, but it is all relative to the shape of your face.

Never experienced it, too much overthinking going on, you can equalize your mask by breathing into it which stops it collapsing on your face. That is what low volume is about, you need less air going into the mask which will be at the ambient pressure. Diving physiology 101.

Reactions: Mr. X
Never experienced it, too much overthinking going on, you can equalize your mask by breathing into it which stops it collapsing on your face. That is what low volume is about, you need less air going into the mask which will be at the ambient pressure. Diving physiology 101.
Well of course. And then you use that air on the way up, but that doesn’t really answer the question. And I would just use another mask but the darn thing has the best field of view.

I think Pete's answer is it. Something that offers the best field of view, low volume, and one that fits you. I've been through several masks in my search for these qualities and found what works for me. But, always good to look for masks that at least meet the view and volume criteria.

When you say it compresses, you mean the mask sucking into your face as you go deeper, or the mask itself deforming in the deep? For me, I experience neither since I'm always equalizing (minimally) and never had a mask change shape in any noticeable way at any depth. My shots on fish have been the same at any depth (down to 35+ m).

Hope you find something that works out with minimal to no compromises.

Reactions: popgun pete
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT