• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Frankengun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mjacobs

Apr 27, 2003
What handles and trigger mechanisms fit a Rob Allen barrel and at what price and relative quality?
Mark

Reactions: thud
Due to it's larger size, I haven't found any trigger mech's to fit the RA barrel very well. You'll most likely need a shim or some other adaptor to fit it well.

you could use a piece of PVC to fill the gap between the handle and barrel. it will probably take a file, sandpaper, and 3M 5200 but it seems like it can be done.

whats wrong with the RA mechanism anyways?:confused:

Nothing is wrong with the RA mechanism that I have found other than the price increase. About 6 years ago you could buy a whole gun with shaft, rigging and all for what a new mech costs today.:(

tell me about it. the price increase has been pretty steep. i bought a RA 110cm last year for around $200US and just a week ago i paid $250US for a RA 100cm

Thank george bush for the crashing dollar in the last 3 years. Thats why you are paying more for your imports.

What is, is. I'm just trying to come up with a gun out of parts. I may end up biting the bullet, but if a $66 dollar handle would do the trick without too much hassle it would only make sense.

Mjacobs,

The omer mech will work on the RA barrel with modifications, as with Im sure the buechat. The problem is youll need to find a suitable coupling material, some sort of solid plastic rod.
The ID of the omer mech and the ID of the RA barrel is very similar.
I recently changed out my RA mech with an Omer MB type, while it worked out nicely, it didnt match as well as I had planned.

With a little American Fix all (duct tape) it had turned out to be very acceptable. I used a piece of high density plastic rod with an one inch diameter (25mm) to match the two, female to female.
Only the ID of the RA barrel and the ID of the Omer was probably a little closer to 26 mm (ish). So I wrapped a piece of duct tape around the plastic rod and tapped it into place with a light finishing hammer. First into the mech and then the into the barrel.
With self taping screws through the barrel into the rod and in the rod through the mech it is very snug, albeit not quit as tight as the original RA mech.

You could pick up a mech via ebay on one of the smaller euro guns to keep cost down.

Or if your interested i would part with my old RA mech for $50, sorry for the amount only Im looking to cover the cost of a new Aimrite open muzzle for my New Hybrid I recently purchased.

Let me know if your interested, bear in mind that the safety has been removed from my RA mech.

Anthony
Tampa

Hamrrhed,
I may have an aimrite muzzle. I'll double check, but I think I got an extra one. Maybe we could trade.
Mark

The sporasub viper series handles are designed for 30mm external dia. tubes so they may be a good option to try in RA barrels if size is an issue :)

In fact Viper Series from Sporasub got a barrel diam of 28mm, but the company put a plastic coating which put the barrel diam to 30mm.
So, the internal barrel diam should be 28 - thickness of the aluminium, so something around 27.8mm

Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT