• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Free diving using D9 or D6

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RigBrat

Oct 30, 2011
Hi,

I would like to know if anyone is using the Suunto D9 or D6 for free diving.
What i want to know is, with the D9, there is no Free diving mode, but a gauge mode. Can you use it in Gauge mode as a Free diving watch.

In between your dives (surface interval) Will you be able to see the:
max depth,
bottom time and
surface interval
when using it in the Gauge mode?

If NO, will it be better to buy the D6, will that model give you the above mentioned info?

Ps: i want to use the watch for free diving ans Scuba diving.
please help before I buy one of these watches!

Out of the box, the D6, adn D9 are not very useful for freediving, but you could try contacting Suunto - I believe they do have firmware with the freediving functions as at the D4 also for D6, and D9. At least Herbert Nitsch, and perhaps some others had these special versions of D6 or D9 and use them for freediving.

On the other hand, it is quite possible Sunnto will not bother speaking to you unless you set couple of world records first :D

Thx for the quick reply...

Well there is no ways i'm EVER capable of setting any world records... i'm still an armature!!!
So there is probably no ways that Suunto will help me, In fact i left the same question on there facebook page... hoping one of there professional 's will lend me some advice, but it seems like the took my post off there wall...

I have emailed them... so lets hope they reply to me!!

Okay so then the D4 will be the right one to buy???

once again thank you for your advice!!!

There are also other choices, than just Suunto, if you aim for freediving and scuba too. D4 is not bad, but there some others that are interesting too. Have a look at the comparative review at APNEA.cz - Freediving Computers for some inspiration. The review just needs completion of some later additions that I lost earlier this year, when the server crashed, and I still did not find the time to put them back. The most interesting from the missing ones is Uwatec Aladin 2G, that offers probably the most features of all the computers, for a very fair price. It's not a stylish watch, though.

The thing is i'm actually a commercial diver, so i want a watch that is pretty rugged too!!!
Some of the guys are using the suunto stinger... but i think it's been discontinued!

I'm actually on the link you told me about... will have a look there...
The thing is... i only know Citezen... and Suunto... well I don't know suunto, but i know that they have a good reputation!

Thank you for your help... you did help me a great deal...
I might consider the D4 tough... but lets have a look at that reviewsyou were telling me about!

Hm, that's strange that a commercial diver knows only Citizen who actually do not make any diving computers at all ;). Are you just using hand tables until now? Uwatec is a Swiss based company, one of the very first companies that started commercializing diving computers decades ago (long before Suunto). If you are looking for a computer that supports also tech commercial diving, then have a look at the Tech category in the review. Liquvision X1 is the cream of the cream - very highly prized among commercial tech divers, and it was developed by our fellow DB member and one of the top freedivers, Eric Fattah. If not, there are couple of others, but again Uwatec's Galileo computers offer quite a bit more than most others - for example they come also with a heart rate monitor that works also in depth.

No no no... not recreational diving...
Commercial as in hard hat...hand tables (USN rev 6) oil fields.
Yes Citizen does not make diving "computers" but they make really good diving watches (that can log dives only) mine just died after 10years, so rather than fixing it, i want to try a computer.
I Scuba dive with my wife in Mozambique every year... so i'm not big into recreational diving, and i'm a spring chicken when it comes to free diving (spearfishing) But been diving with a hard hat (surface supplied air/heliox) for the last 10 years, so i'm clue less when it comes to buying a new watch.

I want it to be rugged (steel or titanium) so when i dive with it at work it will last, at work ill only use it to log my dives and as a depth gauge but I also want to use it when i go spearfishing with my friends...want to use the watch to help better my bottom time... then of course when i take my wife on holiday to Mozambique... ill use the computer bit of it!!!

so that's why i I asked about the D9... it is strong, i can dive with it in Gauge mode when i'm at work, I can use it as a dive computer on holiday... but its just the free diving part that i'm worried about... i'm hoping i can get hold of the suunto agents in South Africa and ask them about the Firmware (as you mentioned). and hopefully ill get 10 years out it!!

So you know how i can get hold of ANY suunto agents?

I wrote nothing about recreational diving. I wrote about tech commercial diving - that's the category that fits you. There is a full section in the review that shows tech computers supporting freediving, some of them include deco tables with tri-mix gases.

Suunto is really popular among recreational divers, which it is designed for, but some of the other brands are more usual in the commercial diving.

Sorry my bud... I know only 3 kinds of diving...

Free diving: ANYTHING holding your breath..spear fishing and breath hold diving and so on!
Recreational diving: ANYTHING to do with a SCUBA cylinder... Teck, reck, resque, trimix, and the list goes on...
Commercial: ANYTHING were they feed you air/gas from the surface via a umbilical!

So its my mistake i misunderstood you... I guess there are more than "3" types of diving...LOL As long as you enjoy it... and like in my case get paid to do it!!!

Thank you very much for all your time!
I really appreciate it!

Take care

BTW, I am just studing the manuals of the new generation of Suunto diving instruments, and unlike at D6 and D9, the D6i and D9i seem to have the freediving mode by default in the standard firmware

That sounds wonderful!

I'm really keen on the D6i... If the new one has the Free diving firmware on... then that's the one i want, I think the D9 has too much functions that i will never use!

I just wish we had 100% conformation on that!

Anyway thank you again for all your time!!

Thx a mil,
I'll go check it out!
I'v started leaning towards the D6i...
Just for intrest sake... What do they cost there by you?

It depends on the exact type - the price differs whether you take it with our without a trasmitter, with a plastic or metallic strap, and with a data cable or without, but the cheapeast offers I see at the D6i are slightly above 600€

That's cheeper than here in South Africa... Here its about 1500€

I wonder if I should buy it online... Like Ebay... I'm just a bit scared to spend that kind of money online!
The warrentees are international, so it won't be a issue were you buy it!
Well thanks for your help!

1500€, that's probably for the D9tx with all options. Even the most expensive D6i is usually under 1000€.

I would not advise buying through eBay, but rather from some company that has a real address and a stone shop too (some of them on eBay are solid and reliable, but there are many crooks too).

I see the D4i the cheapest at SUUNTO Diving Computers from 629€ to 919€ (depending on the options) and with free shipping. I do not know that company personally, so you may want to do a bit research on them first.

I know Scubaland.fr, though - they are selling both in a stone store and online since many years (I've bought a Suunto Mosquito about 10 years ago from them online). They have the D6i innexpensively too - the cheapest variant for just 639€ :

Montre ordinateur Suunto D6i bracelet lastomre Suunto Ordinateur de plonge

BTW, if you want to compare the D4, D4i, and D6i side by side, have a look here:

APNEA.cz - Suunto D4

The difference between D4 and D4i is rather minor - allegedly a bigger memory (but strangely the specifications show the same maximal capacity), a more precise pressure sensors, some ergonomy improvements in menus, and then some improvements concerning scuba (i.e. the optional transmitters).

D4i and D6i are rather similar too - D6i has a compass, a bit stronger case, resistant to 150m (vs 100m at D4i), has more amore advanced scuba deco functions, and additionally also the Gauge mode.

D9tx has even better case and a saphire scratch-proof glass, is resistant to 200m, but it has no freedive mode.

Wonderful!

I have a friend traveling to Marseille FRANCE... so ill get him to get me the D6i
you have been a great help to me!

Thank you very much!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT