• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive-a-palooza 2011!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be attending this years PALOOZA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quick note: rain-A-Palooza was OK. Too much frickin Rain. The Class was a success. All Students I believe either hit 3 min breath hold or could easily do it. I know BigThree hit 81 feet! Not sure about the other students. I will put pics and a better report later this evening. Others who attended should feel free to post their Report.

Water vis was still pretty good even after all the rain we got, probably 20 ft vis looking down the line on Sunday. I did a static of 2'8", and even though it's my best time so far, I had a bad breath up and horrible final breath and didn't feel good about it right away, so I know I should be able to go beyond that. My PB depth was 53' with a down time of 1'3". The long down time for that depth was because I had to go feet first since I couldn't equalize, but both those numbers are still over double my previous PB's. Even though the rain was kind of a buzz kill, I got to meet some cool new people and hit some new PB's, so overall it was a great wknd. Thanks go out to Scott and the Class Instructors for everything!

Arrived Friday evening and got the tent set up before the rain really started coming down. Enjoyed the evening talking with Scott and Buck, Scott fried up some killer crappie. I still had my doubts about being able to get a static breath hold of 3 min and dive to 66ft, but if it was possible, I really wanted to hit those marks. Previous to the class I'd say my static breath hold was 1min30sec and I could dive to roughly 20 ft. The main thing I wanted to get out of the class was improving myself, but ensuring to do this in a safe manner.

Saturday we woke up and were ready for our 8am classroom section of the FII level 1. We met Mark Lozano (FII Instructor) along with 2 assistants working towards becoming instructors Bo and Anne. We started the classroom portion and learned a LOT about what goes into proper safety and proper technique. We then got in the water in the afternoon, drilled some safety techniques along with water entry (I still need to practice). Then we got to our static breath holds along the edge of a picnic table in the water. After learning the technique and putting it into action, 3 minutes was relatively easy to attain. I think I could probably go for longer, but was satisfied with this drastic improvement.

Sunday we woke up and got right into the water at 8am, we did various warmups and again the emphasis was on safety. I believe everyone in the class was capable of getting down to the 66ft, but equalization problems appeared to be a limiting factor. I've never had problems equalizing (knock on wood), and was able to hit all of the targets set out for us. The only reason I surpassed the 66ft is the line was new and was longer than intended. I got to 80ft and 81ft on 2 different dives. We ended by taking an exam and closed the class with everyone passing.

I still have a lot to clean up with my entry and technique under the surface, but I'm still really happy with the improvement. I'm glad to have learned about freediving safety (I had minimal to no knowledge before). It was also great to meet everyone, Randy and I partnered up and plan to continue diving together in the future. Mark Lozano is a great instructor, was a cool guy, but also direct with his directions and coaching. Anne and Bo also did a great job assisting Mark.

I'm hoping my brother gets certified and we can join in at least part of the camp FII has in Hawaii this year. I got lucky and booked my vacation for the exact same week of the FII camp in Kona.

I highly recommend the class to anyone that was on the fence, its hard to put into words how beneficial it really was/is... it isn't cheap, but in my opinion was well worth the money. I eventually plan on taking at least level 2, but that might not be int he cards for 2011. If anyone has any questions specifically feel free to PM me or reply here.

Chris

Great Report Guys!!! Here's a few pics: Rain-A-Palooza aka Freedive-A-Palooza 2011 | Facebook

It's on my Facebook and "Says" anyone should be able to view. I would post a lot on here, but am limited to 5 at a time. So, if you can't view the photos above, add me then you should be able to.

Great job on the 53' Buck! That's awesome!

Attachments

• DSCN5395.jpg
    DSCN5395.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN5390.jpg
    DSCN5390.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCN5405.jpg
    DSCN5405.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 236
  • PIC_0096.JPG
    PIC_0096.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 222
  • PIC_0156.jpg
    PIC_0156.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 225
A few more pics.

Attachments

• DSCN5395.jpg
    DSCN5395.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN5399.jpg
    DSCN5399.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 226
  • PIC_0104.jpg
    PIC_0104.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 218
  • PIC_0144.jpg
    PIC_0144.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 235
  • PIC_0132.jpg
    PIC_0132.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 243
Nice reports everyone! Thanks for the pictures you posted Scott I starred at the tent in the rain for a long time trying to use it to console myself for not being able to go. It almost works but every time I think about those of you who hit 3 minutes I wipe a tear knowing that I too would have been able to do at least that. My current PB is 2min 20 sec at 20 feet.

I hope to see more Freediving Classes offered in WI in the future. I wouldn't worry too much. Just need to take care of things on your end. I know what you're going through.

So steve and I and at least two buddies of mine are down to make it happen again, I wish I could have made it this time now that the word is out mark is going to have to come back if we have more people ready to take the class........start recruiting guys

My report of the Palooza/FII Level 1:

I got to Wazee Lake on Wednesday July 14th with my Kids and girlfriend. I wanted to make sure I spent some time with them as I figured I would be busy a good portion of the Time Friday/Saturday Diving. Wednesday we basically set up camp, ran to the store for food for the week, made supper and hung out by the campfire. Of course we went to THE WALL edge to check out the lake. It was SUPER CLEAR and Very BLUE. We made some smores (which my GF is probably the best at making these). It was a very nice night to be camping.

Thursday started to cloud up. I had seen in a forecast that there was a chance of Rain, so, We had breakfast and took the Kayaks down to the lake. Our intention was to just kayak from THE WALL over to Sherwood Forest. We ended up Kayaking the entire Lake, including into the Beach Area. The vis was great all along the lake. We could see the Platforms at 25ft. We also spotted several Loons and a Big Bald Eagle. There weren't many people staying at the Campsites - which I didn't think there would be as it was the middle of the week. We had sites 9 & 11 reserved and it was a very short trip to THE WALL access. The kids loved being able to see all the fish in the shallows and used up all their bait catching bluegills. WATERHAWK ("Buck") - showed up and set up his tent. We hung out till dinner (Brats) and then later went Crawfish catching with the kids- They loved it and eventually would pick them up.

FRIDAY - The day the PALOOZA was technically starting, People started showing up from all over. "STEVE" who I call "Missouri Steve" showed up from St. Louis, MO. Reason, his wife JUDi and their 2 dogs from Milwaukee and 1 of their SCUBA friends who I can't remember his name. It looked like it was about to rain and my kids wanted to go swimming. I decided "We're here to dive - lets get wet" and headed down to the water. Others followed and we checked out the fish Cribs just down from the WALL Access. This was a shallow area to dive and it was nice getting in some diving. I gave a few tips but nothing to serious as 2 of the 4 people taking the class the next day were there and I figured they would be learning a lot in the next day or so. I did not wear a wetsuit as the water Temp was 74 degrees. But I quickly found this to be a bad judgment call on my part when I hit the thermocline at about 23ft!! It was freaking Cold!! All I had on was my trunks and my 1mil Lycra HammerHead Shirt. A couple times diving down the WALL I tried to fight the cold and keep going to the bottom, but couldn't take it! Turned and decided to keep most of my dives above the thermocline. I got some good video of others diving including my oldest daughter Lilee diving to about 8ft. She is getting more and more comfortable with the water. It had started to rain lightly, which didn't matter because we were in the water. We spent about and hour or so in and then headed back to camp. Just after dinner Mark Lozano (FII Instructor) and 2 Assistant Instructors (Anne and Bo) showed up. I showed the Lake and discussed options for the FII Level 1 Class, that would be taking place Saturday/Sunday. Mark thought THE WALL was a great spot for the class. As it had a shallow area for Breath holds, a Deeper spot to work on the Safety portions and about 60ft from Shore a Deep spot with a buoy where they could do their line dives. The Instructors and other divers headed to their hotels as it was raining. It pretty much rained the rest of the night. We still had a campfire going every night. BIGTHREE and Randy showed up and set up their tents and we hung out under a 10x20 Canopy the rest of the night. I had fried up some Crappies I shot this Spring in Shore Lunch and it was quickly consumed. A few Bloody Mary's were also enjoyed that night! :friday

SATURDAY- Just as I was about to get up and start making breakfast- it started to Rain.....HARD. I heard the students shuffling around outside getting ready for the class to take place under the 10x20 Canopy. It pretty much Rained/Stormed during the classroom portion of the Level 1 Class until about noon-ish. Ben and Tass had showed up for the Palooza and it was decided that we- along with Reason would go Dive. It was of course why we were there. The rain had stopped shortly before we decided to get in the water. We headed over to the BEACH as a access and swam over to the area with the Fish Cribs and Platforms on the South end of the lake. Ben found a 'Sword in the Stone' and we checked out some pretty big Smallmouth Bass. Reason headed back (I believe to scuba) We then swam over to the Sherwood Forest. Tass headed back to the Beach to get his Family while Ben and I dove along the North end back to THE WALL. There were several spots with some huge, steep slabs of rock. The thermocline in the lake is awesome, it's very visible. We came across the Bald Eagle again - this time it didn't fly away and I was able to get some pics. We also saw some decent sized walleye and Bluegills on that side. It turned out to be nice weather for diving. We also came across a few scuba divers and of course gave them a few fly-by dives. Those of us that were diving headed back to the Camp while the FII Level 1 Students were preparing to head to the Water to work on safety and breathe ups/holds. I had planned to leave Saturday evening as I had to work on Sunday and couldn't get out of it. So, I decided to start packing up all the gear I had brought and take down the Canopy. I think everyone else went down to the water to Swim/fish or dive - but I could not confirm this. Thanks Ben for helping me with some of my take down and packing. My kids and GF were ready to leave, but I wanted to get down to the class and see how they were doing and get a few pics. I got down to the water just in time to see 'Buck' and 'Randy' go for their 3 min breath holds. Missouri Steve and BigTHREE just got done doing theirs and both were able to hit the 3 Minute mark. 'Buck' got close and I KNOW he can do at least 3mins. All these guys doubt me the night before when I told them they would be doing 3 mins. It's Technique fellas - Technique. Now you know exactly what I'm talking about. You also know WHY we don't tell people how to do it. There is a safety factor to consider.

I really didn't want to leave as Sunday's forecast looked to be great diving weather and I knew Fishstick22 was showing up later. It would of been great to dive another day. I'm very happy for the guys who were able to take the Class - It helps you, but it also helps me. Helps me, because I feel safer diving with you guys knowing, that if something happens to someone- you know what to do. You also know what NOT to do, so you aren't putting yourself in Jeopardy. I ultimately would like to see EVERYONE take at least the Level 1 class - It can only improve your diving abilities and make you a safer diver. It is worth every penny.

We also had a Give-Away table with product from HammerHead. I had put everyone's name on a piece of paper and passed on instructions to do a DRAWING. But it appears that the people who won the Shirts and things were people who were there at the time. So, that didn't quite work out as planned. Which is fine. I'm sure everything is still going to good use and those were some Awesome Shirts!.

All in all this is what we had:

21 people attend (People from WI, MN, MO, CA and D.C.)
14 were divers
2 dogs

74 degree surface temp

25'+ Vis

Thanks to everyone who attended this years RAIN-A-Palooza!! :friday It could of been better with nicer weather - but I still had a good time and we will do it every year. Also a HUGE Thank You to FII, Mark Lozano, Anne Bates and Bo Ong for making the Level 1 Class happen!!

Attachments

• DSCN5351.jpg
    DSCN5351.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN5383.jpg
    DSCN5383.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN5388.jpg
    DSCN5388.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 227
  • PIC_0121.jpg
    PIC_0121.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 228
  • PIC_0129.jpg
    PIC_0129.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
I wasn't really considering taking a Level II course, but now that I know where my baseline skills are, if I can get to the point of hitting the Level I standards easily, I would definitely take the Level II course. With over 1 minute of down time on that 53 foot dive, that should translate to a 80-100 foot dive if I could do a normal, heads down dive, at least in theory. Everything hinges on my equalizing at this point, I'll be talking to an ENT as soon as I can. Before this class I was definitely a little on the skeptical side, now I'm a believer! I can't thank Scott and the Instructers enough, and I had some cool classmates as well. By the way, that was probably the best crappie I've ever had Scott!

Reactions: Whopperhead
Ben asked If I could put together the video footage of him, while at wazee lake - So I did and added a song. Here it is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd7ouBw3uFE&feature=colike]Ben Wazee Freedive - YouTube[/ame]

I plan on getting RAIN-A-PALOOZA done soon. Trying to use a more complex but awesome software - it takes a little longer to make a video. Hopefully this week yet.

Freedive-A-Palooza aka Rain-A-Palooza 2011 Video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvZz7tmWISc]Rain-A-Palooza 2011 Freediving - YouTube[/ame]

More spearfishing Videos coming soon!!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT