• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freedive line setup

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Deanobambino

Sep 10, 2006
Hi there,

I'm looking to improve my current homemade freediving line. At the moment I'm using a car inner tube as a float, the attachment is just by short pieces of rope tied around the tube in four places (12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock) which are joined in the middle of the tube with a carabiner and the line is attached to that. For weight I try and grab a suitable rock lying about on the shore. I've scoured the forums and picked up some good tips already...

- for the bottom weight use some kind of plastic barrel that can be filled with sand/rocks etc. I'm gonna sort something like this. Save me always trying to find the perfect rock!

- use a pulley and cleat set-up to make hauling in and paying out easier.

Now I'm looking at the problem of drifting about the place when I want to stay put. I'm normally diving from the shore, but not close enough to tie the float off to any nearby rocks. I've seen talk of anchors here but I'm not sure how this could work. A separate anchor line that would reach the bottom, and therefore hold the float in place, would mean a lot of extra line (and hassle), and would probably be a drama to retrieve as I'm normally diving in water where I can't reach the bottom. Maybe some kind of a sea anchor/drogue is possible? Although from my (limited) understanding of these, I think it would increase the rate of drift with current or tide.(?)

So what do the wise people do? Do you just drift about with the currents? Finning about on the surface to keep position soon gets you knackered, as I've quickly found out.

Suggestions on this or any other improvements to a home made setup would be highly welcome!

Deano.

Not sure if this will work as i'm not really a freediver but a spearfisherman... any way can you forget the bucket weight idea and replace that with a large anchor? Weighting and grip in one? If I have missed something then I beg forgiveness but seems the simplest solution to me. Although retrieval could be an issue depending on the bottom.

Hi ickledevil,

The line needs to be suspended (i.e. not touching the bottom) so it stays straight down.

I'm also looking for a solution that is as portable as possible so it's no problem to walk/scramble/climb over rocky areas. That's what I liked about the bucket/barrel idea - just carry the (light!) plastic container to the site and fill it up with any heavy stuff is available there like rocks, sand etc. Maybe a heavy duty sack would be a better idea - I could just fold it up and put it in my kit bag when not in use.

Thanks for your pondering... keep 'em coming!

Deano

Mmmmm now i see, ok go with the bucket idea or a very heavy duty sack. Add handles (maybe backpack type) stow all your gear inside it on route to the dive site. Then as you already said add weight. I have a small grapnal anchor for my kayak. would it be possible to add this below the bucket with another line although shorter to anchor at the bottom? (from the bucket) Will add a bit of gear but possibly not as much. Other than that my only thoughts are to either have the bucket/weight on the bottom to use as an anchor with some form of stop plate to set to your required depth. Or to ensure your gear is as steamlined as possible (assuming big seas wont be a problem as you wouldn't be diving) so to reduce wind drag at surface etc.

Mind you all this is probably useless if you happen to be diving over a deep ocean trench.. in which case my suggestion would be move dive sites ;)

I was thinking of building one myself. Would an old gym weight work perhaps? Maybe a 20 pounder or something, the plastic kind filled with sand so there would be no worries of rusting over time. And I figure 20lbs in a backpack or something wouldn't be to bad to hike to your diving spot. And it would also save you precious time by not having to find rocks and stuff to put in it. I may steal your inner tube idea though, very clever and simple!

Good luck! -John

I will be using a float like this- With 25# on a weightbelt. The Float has shoulder straps. I can carry everything on my back. It has a zipper in the middle to put the weight, line, water........whatever.

deluxefloat.jpg

Hey im only just getting started and by no means an expert but ive build a rig using a red 30l drybag as a float displaying the diver down flag (the type you roll down to seal) and replaced the clips with a carabiner its handy to store the rope and lead weights in and any wet gear at the end of the dive

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT